1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade 8 Practical ABRSM

Discussion in 'Music' started by marlin, Apr 17, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Well, I've just been given the accompaniment for the practical part of the exam I told you about in my question about Aural Tests. I shall ask the flute teacher for her opinion but wondered if any of you had encountered the same as this:
    The first piece is Quantz Flute Concerto G minor - first movement. There are 29 bars of what would have been an orchestral tutti at the start. Would I be expected to play all of these - it seems an awful waste of exam time for me to be playing without the flute! It could easily be shortened to 6 bars as the original theme reappears just before the flute enters. Later there's a tutti of 18 bars, another of 12 and another of 9 bars. The piece ends with yet another tutti of 18 bars. I could easily just play the last 6 bars of the final tutti - a repetition of the 6 bars in the opening. I would expect to play the tutti in the middle sections as they are obviously important. This is the edition recommended by the board.
    The second piece is La Flute de Pan - Jules Mouquet - think that's going to be lovely and no problems about long passages of solo piano.
    I recently played for a Grade 7 trumpet exam and had a passage of 11 bars without the trumpet in the middle of the piece. I kept that as it was obviously, but did feel awkward that I was 'wasting' the examiners time. I realise the integrity of the music shouldn't be spoiled though and assume that the problem of tutti must arise quite regularly in the higher grade exams.
    This is the first time I have played for a Grade 8, so the first time I've encountered this dilemma.
    I'd appreciate your thoughts or experiences please.

2. marlin

Well, I've just been given the accompaniment for the practical part of the exam I told you about in my question about Aural Tests. I shall ask the flute teacher for her opinion but wondered if any of you had encountered the same as this:
    The first piece is Quantz Flute Concerto G minor - first movement. There are 29 bars of what would have been an orchestral tutti at the start. Would I be expected to play all of these - it seems an awful waste of exam time for me to be playing without the flute! It could easily be shortened to 6 bars as the original theme reappears just before the flute enters. Later there's a tutti of 18 bars, another of 12 and another of 9 bars. The piece ends with yet another tutti of 18 bars. I could easily just play the last 6 bars of the final tutti - a repetition of the 6 bars in the opening. I would expect to play the tutti in the middle sections as they are obviously important. This is the edition recommended by the board.
    The second piece is La Flute de Pan - Jules Mouquet - think that's going to be lovely and no problems about long passages of solo piano.
    I recently played for a Grade 7 trumpet exam and had a passage of 11 bars without the trumpet in the middle of the piece. I kept that as it was obviously, but did feel awkward that I was 'wasting' the examiners time. I realise the integrity of the music shouldn't be spoiled though and assume that the problem of tutti must arise quite regularly in the higher grade exams.
    This is the first time I have played for a Grade 8, so the first time I've encountered this dilemma.
    I'd appreciate your thoughts or experiences please.

3. v12

v12

As I walk into the recital room, I always point such things out to the examiner with my suggestions for abridging it - they are always happy to acceed.

4. marlin

This sounds a good idea.
    I just thought they wouldn't want to sit and listen to me - I'm not the one being examined! Thank goodness. [​IMG]

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

As it says in the syllabus:
    "Accompanists should make cuts to extensive orchestral tuttis in concerto (or similar)
    movements."
    What you suggest is fine: certainly cut the opening tutti, and probably the final one as well. I wouldn't cut the internal ritornelli as that can often lead to an unbalanced structure. In any case, these give the examiner a few seconds to concentrate on writing rather than listening.
    Do warn the candidate that examiners occasionally stop a performance before the end at Grade 8, if they have heard enough to form a judgement, as some combinations of pieces (especially those that include a concerto movement) simply don't fit within the scheduled time.

6. marlin

Yes, we had this when I played for his audition for the National Children's Orchestra - only had a few bars left to play too!

7. v12

v12

Some of them are even happy to accede!

8. marlin

What a typo between friends? [​IMG]
    I've run through the Quantz and once I put some fingering in then that should be ok. See what the Mouquet is like now!

9. I'd also agree that you cut the outer tutti sections but leave the middle ones in, it'll not only give the examiner time to write but the soloist time to re-group themselves. Good luck with it all :)

10. marlin

Thank you.
    Interestly the pieces he's chosen don't seem as difficult for me as his Grade 7 did. Just thinking about the piano part here of course - not the flute. One of the Grade 7 pieces was Poulenc Sonata for Flute and Piano and that did take a lot of work for me to get that right!

11. Congratulations :)

12. marlin

Thanks Jenny [​IMG]