1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade 4 Ofsted!!

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by GPjayne, Dec 6, 2012.

1. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

26 SEND pupils in one class? That's ridiculous. Sadly, it's the future of special needs education. Yes, OP should be moving them forward, but, if remediation of their difficulties was easy, they wouldn't be SEND in the first place. In the current education climate, parents of these pupils should be very worried.

2. Miss Pious

what a horrible reply to GPjayne: who has been rendered inadequate by people who think they know how to teach from their little offices and take no account of what school you teach in or what students and family background they come from. We don't need colleagues to kick us when we are down but those who help with kind words or active advice.

Shame on you! I'm glad I don't work with you. Boosting your own ego by treading on someone else. Good for you that you are such an outstanding teacher. Yak!

3. Hello GPjayne

I hope everyone offering you advice here will think back to their first year of teaching.
    If they were anything like me, it was a year I would be pleased to forget.
    I was lucky to have had a great head of department who was there to offer practical help and advice.

The first point to make here is that every teacher is working in a school with a well-paid leadership team whose main job is to create the climate where teachers can succeed. No individual teacher should ever be completely on their own. There should be behaviour management policies in place and members of SLT around the school whenever possible to lend support to individual teaching. Heads of department too should be doing their part to support members of their department through various mean including good planning and a team approach to delivery.

The other point I would like to make is that one lesson observation will never summarise the teaching over time of any given teacher. If your school leaders are up to scratch they will have a set of lesson observation judgments to place this one observation against.
    The situation you have been placed in is a whole school issue and requires a whole school response. It is going to be very hard to do, but you must not take this as a judgment of your performance as a teacher. Anyone teaching a class with a profile like you describe is likely to get the response that you describe and the judgement that you were given.

This either proves that every teacher is inadequate or that school leaders in this school need to try a lot harder.

4. I guess they didn't bother..... otherwise they'd be able to read and write?

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

As my mother would say- think before you speak. Unless you have been there wind your neck in or give sensible advice.

6. To miss pious

Oh my goodness you are in the wrong job love! Why not become an ofsted inspector or a prison officer

7. We have just been inspected. Gradings went from outstanding(1) to (4)-one very expereinced colleague got a 4 because there was little or no progress made. Sadly this is the deal. I agree with last post-understand this and move on.

8. Check out the myth of progress by keven Bartle, its a v good article. I cannot imagine any teacher not thinking that progress is essential within a lesson but expecting every student to make rapid progress in 20 minute blocks is ????! As a thinking person it is hard to accept the latest notion based on what evidence?i feel very sorry for your colleague , many good teachers are getting these grades and it is crackers.

No need to reply miss pious aka miss trouble.

9. drek

drek Lead commenter

this is the sort of analogy used by spin doctors. As a member of the 'public' I would be furious if huge amounts of money were spent on idiot consultants whose main job is to get rid of overburdened professionals instead of putting the money towards employing more doctors or on buying the resources needed.

Instead successive governments have quickly realised that they can make huge short term profits by setting up independent bodies who instead of addressing the underlying problems of corruption and greed end up leaving the hospital and the community in a far more vulnerable situation. But who really cares these days. They have honed the whole business down to a fine art, paid the best lawyers and sealed election deals with union officials (why else would they sell the careers of frontline staff down the river) and will only truly be caught when a mass of victims are finally allowed to come forward and be heard.

I am reading some of the posts going back to 2008 and the predictions made by posters back then are bearing fruit about public services and bad management practices in general.

10. drek

drek Lead commenter

this is good advice but if you are in a school full of climber like leaders then you can ask away for support that is the right of every teacher for their children but you will fail to get it because a) short supply of support staff and you will be informed of this by e mail every morning. b) the outstanding staff get priority to any available avenues of school support despite having a third of time table. How else could a school that is imploding from within demonstrate evidence of improving standards thanks to a few 'outstanding' support.