1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grabbing their intrest KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by longtallsally, Oct 1, 2015.

1. longtallsally

longtallsally New commenter

I've recently started at a new job after being on mat leave for a year, in a mixed year 1/2 class.

The teacher that was there before me was, to quote my boss, the children and the parents, "amazing", "perfect".... Every lesson was filled with fun and learning and grabbed their interest straight away. The kind of teacher that we all strive to be.

Needless to say I'm not currently living up to expectation, despite what feels like, working every minute of everyday.

5 weeks in and I want to quit!! Fed up of being compared to someone I meet for an hour in July.

Moan over. Here's my question.

Next week I need to teach poetry. The children need to have written a poem based around harvest, ready to perform next Friday.
    I want to make every lesson lively, fun, interesting and of course full of learning. How can I grab their interest straight away on Monday morning?
    I don't want to spend all weekend just staring at my laptop.

Thanks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

To grab their interest, start off with an experience. Harvest is to do with food, so you could do food tasting, baking/cooking something, guess what's in the box by smell/touch; just ideas off the top of my head.

Your beginning is the experience; your end result is the poem. What steps do you need in between? Once you know that (those will be your learning objectives), you can choose some fun activities that will fulfill each objective. Make things into a game, or a competition (against themselves, against a partner or against another group, against you).