1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Govt to fuel teacher 'recruitment crisis'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lanokia, Nov 1, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

While still believing it is a retention crisis, I'm fairly sure this won't help...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34676374

Bursaries for trainee primary teachers in England will be slashed from next year, sparking fears the move could fuel the teacher recruitment crisis.

Some of the bursaries available this year will be two thirds less in value for trainees who start in 2016.

Calculations by the Times Educational Supplement (TES) suggest the changes could affect more than half of trainee primary teachers.

The government said bursaries were targeted at the areas in most need.

Now this is from TES originally so if this has been posted elsewhere already please delete.

2. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Well they do it so much better in China, no?

So makes sense to get rid of the current bunch of primary teachers and import 200,000+ Chinese super teachers. Who cares about the language barrier? So few English school kids have English as their mother tongue and if they do they're not much good at it :=)

3. drek

drek Lead commenter

Is it part of the nuclear power station deal they have just signed, that caused our top ranks to parade themselves, like goods at an auction, for the chinese
    dignitaries, rubbing their hands with glee all the while.

In the meantime a few anti communist protestors, living in the UK, were arrested and their families are now to face the same level of scrutiny, for waving a flag, as suspected terrorists.

We have already sold our soul to the Chinese. The
    Chinese don't just teach subjects at school, obedience to the regime is part of their curriculum.
    As it is in North Korea! Do we want ecxellence at the cost of free speech. I guess so!

4. drek

drek Lead commenter

They forgot to air that part of their system, when they did their tv show, and we the public, as always, are naive enough to believe in the reality of a reality TV show!

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It's already started. Teacher recruitment agencies are now acting as travel agents for student teachers and graduates from the English speaking world - Canada, SA, NZ, Oz etc. Paid much less, these trainee teachers are basically on a paid holiday. They can do Europe and go back home breaking even financially. Their contracts are for under a year. They fill a gap in a school for a season then are replaced by another casual worker and so on.
    I don't doubt that they are knowledgable and capable but they are not going to stay in the UK with restrictive visas nor could they afford to.
    For years, I and other unionised supply activists have been pilloried on here and other social spaces warning that the profession would be populated by a stream of interchangeable casual workers provided by commercial agencies, delivering a standardised generic programme of testable material generated by commercial publishers.
    I hate to say I told you so, but ....