1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goves new plan to grow academies

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by snurge, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Let me get this right, we are all talking about striking for pensions. Well dont bother, what you need to do is strike to crush the growth of academies. With Goves insane idea about schools reaching 50% 5 A to C,s a huge amount of schools will fail and will be taken over by a local academy despite our best efforts amd commitment to teach the unteachable in some cases.
    Within two to three years of working in an academy your teachers pension will be frozen and you will have to make your own pension arrangements. The academies have total freedom they can do what they want under the heavey influence of there commercial sponsors. ...stop the privatisation of education it shouldnt be a for profit service.

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It's clear the government sees independence from local authority control as a key to improving education and is prepared to use any means it can get away with to make it happen.
    I'm afraid I disagree, but then it seems I have a fundamental problem with the way our unions "serve" us.
    The unions should not, and nor should we as employees, be concerned with who owns our workplaces nor who the management report to.
    The unions should be concerned with defending our terms and conditions and rights in the workplace.
    I see it as being an issue of "choose your battles". The political one - local authority control or not - was decided at the ballot box. The employment one - our terms and conditions - has not been decided.
    The employment rights battle cannot be won if our [union] representatives are trying to fight a political battle (that has already been lost) instead.
    The time and place for the fight over the politics is the next general election. The time for the fight over employment rights is now.

3. Whilst YOU may not think it has been decided, the Government, backed by Parliament, has.
    They will be willing to discuss and listen, but will not change their mind.
    Teachers will now retire much later (from 2013?).
    Teachers will now pay more in to their pensions from their own pay.
    Teachers will receive a much lower pension. How much lower depends where you are in the managerial scale. The least affected will be the grunts at the bottom. The most affected will be those most stressed at the top.
    Teachers will no longer enjoy collective bargaining and national pay scales. They cannot expect annual increments.
    Teachers will have target related pay (or at least an element of) and those targets may not necessarily be realistic nor agreed by the teacher (as such they will be imposed).
    Teachers will be asked to work longer hours, teach for more time and receive less non-contact time and holidays.
    The march toward universal academy status will be relentless, and so teaching will go back to the dark ages.
    BUT, you DO have a choice. And striking is not it. Very quickly potential entrants into the 'profession' will disappear. I expect a huge number of PGCE students will not gain employment this year, and that will quickly dissuade others.
    The new university fees system will discourage large numbers from even starting out on a potential teaching career when they leave school.
    Increasing numbers of teachers will leave. With all the changes coming in, you will soon be better off as a 'You shop we drop' Tesco van driver, at least on an hourly paid basis.
    Fewer grunts will want to move up the ladder as they realise that the stress and poor pay are not offset by a decent pension and retirement age.
    Not within the life of this parliament, but probably into the next one, education will be in a severe crisis due to staff shortages.
    I have said this elsewhere on the TES forums, but my mind is already been made up. When my daughter leaves her school, so will I.
    Fighting for employment rights? You won't win. If the miners couldn't, teachers certainly won't. We can't expect public support, it won't appear. The media are heavily anti-civil servants and knocking teachers is all in a day's work for them. If parents lose pay for having to take time off to look after their darlings as we strike, they won't support us either.
    The resistance has to be passive. Cut back or stop all the voluntary stuff you do. Arrive as late as you can in the morning. Go off site for lunch. Leave at the bell at the end of the day. Put only cursory effort into report writing, and so on. If you are going to be paid less per hour, then do less work.
    This I and many of my colleagues have done and we are all so much the better for it, being way less stressed. Try it, you might like it. It will give you time to consider and plan your move out of education.
    Is this all too negative? No. It is market economics. It is the only thing that the buffoons we voted in can understand.