1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove's back. Oh God!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Jun 11, 2017.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

No, there's a MASSIVE difference between just 'not denying climate change' and not formally saying those words, but then doing several things which strongly suggest that's what you believe.

If I say "Rott Weiler has never formally denied being a member of the Nazi Party, so I bet he is", that's fake news, I agree. But if I say, "Whilst Rott Weiler has never formally denied being a member of the Nazi Party, but he has swastikas all over his house and has said he wants to gas millions of Jews, so I suspect he is", then that's very different indeed.

Gove hasn't formally said he denies climate change, but he DID try to have it removed from the NC, and he DID vote against restrictions on new home building in environmentally sensitive areas, and he DID vote against carbon emission restrictions.

drek likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I think what is most repellent about this horrible scary photo is the 'Playboy' mag...framed...stuck on the wall behind Gove. Trump thinks he is saying that he is a pouting sex God. In truth he is a pouting pillock standing next to a rubber-mouthed one. Must be great to be a political cartoonist, all this free material hurling itself at you on a day to day basis and all you have to do is turn it into satirical art....

drek likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

And he DOES cause overheating in teachers, to cataclysmic levels.

drek likes this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

A crack corps of teacher assassins.

5. Mrsmumbles

One of my all-time favourites..

Yoda- and drek like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you claiming Gove has signs all over his house or office saying climate change doesn't exist? Otherwise I can't see how the analogy has any relevance. You appear to be building a mountain of assumption on a molehill of evidence. There's plenty of reason to criticise Gove but making stuff upundermines your argument and isn't necessary. Just stick with the truth!

What are the "several things which strongly suggest that's what [Gove] believe"? All claims seem to go back to a Guardian article in 2013 that says he wanted to remove climate change from the Geography NC and put it in the Science NC. Even his political enemies who gave the story to the Guardian didn't claim that was because he denied climate change.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  7. PeterQuint

and what about him voting against restrictions on new home building in environmentally sensitive areas, and carbon emission restrictions?

If you believe in man-made global warming, why would you vote to not cut carbon emissions?

8. Rott Weiler

What's building in environmentally sensitive areas got to do with climate change? Nothing.

Your assertion that if you believe in man-made global warming you'd vote for all cuts in carbon emissions is absurd. There are costs to cutting emissions. Voters have to decide whether the cost is worth the gain. That doesn't make everyone who disagrees with specific measures a climate change denier. Just means you don't think it's a cost effective climate protection measure.

Today's newspapers are full of stories about Gove becoming SoS Environment. Not one of them even so much as hints that he is a climate change denier. Don't you think that if the newspapers, that are no friend of Gove, had a shred of evidence that he is a climate change denier they'd have it slapped across the front page by now? Maybe their reporters know something that you don't. That your claim is nonsense.

I don't get why you continue to flog this dead horse rather concentrate on what's really wrong with Gove so that everyone can rally behind you. Why bother with fake stories when there are real stories?

9. PeterQuint

You may disagree with it, but I don't think it's fair to call it 'absurd'.

I don't get why you continue to flog this dead horse rather than concentrate on what's really going on here.

I made ONE post about it myself, and everything else I've written has been replying to you.

Of course, there's a hell of a lot more to pin on Gove than him being a climate change denier...okay, showing many of the signs of being a climate change denier.

drek likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's not something you "believe in", it's a scientific fact.

Although there is no reason, nor any evidence - to view him as a climate change denier (few are that dim on the issue anymore) the worrying thing is that he doesn't seem to take the dangers as seriously as he ought, and responds in a way that the scientific community are saying is inappropriate.

What's wrong with Gove is wrong all the way through him, but there's a lot more to worry about than his views on climate change, whatever they may be - such as the coming deregulation and dangers that will pose to our environment post-Brexit (if that ever happens...)

Rott Weiler likes this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Me too! All been replying to you.

Absolutely - it was PeterQuint who posted about "If you believe in man-made global warming...". I just quoted him. Although to be fair any opinion on almost anything can reasonably, if a little loosely, be described as a belief.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Scintillant likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Apologies. I am pressed for time and didn't read any further back. I would never have had a rational man such as yourself down as one in a million years though...

13. Rott Weiler

A climate change denier? Not me! I've no doubts about the existence of man-made climate change. I just don't agree with using 'climate change denier' as an all-purpose attack phrase against anyone you disagree with, unless the person actually is on record as a climate change denier.

14. Mrsmumbles

Swap around a few letters in 'fracking' and...bingo! We're Tory donors! Or not...

15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Better than in education though! And as long as environmental concerns aren't put above people's safety...

drek likes this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

Thing is, Gove is a menace to our environment; education, moral, social and environmental. He puts the 'me' into 'methane'....

drek likes this.
  17. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Surely the Environment Department has a vested interest in recycling old rubbish; so who better than Gove as a figurehead?

Mrsmumbles and drek like this.
  18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Gove getting his aarse smacked by Piers Morgan on GMTV today. He slithers and swerves like a slippery eel, but Morgan goes for his jugular. I never realised that Gove could not function under pressure - just like May. Another useless Tory minister.
    Well worth 6 minutes of your time.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Mrsmumbles and Yoda- like this.
  19. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I usually can't stand Piers Morgan but this time I think he deffinately gave gove the treatment he deserved.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  20. drvs

drvs Star commenter

That's embarrassing on both sides of the desk.

Mrsmumbles and SomethingWicked like this.