1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove's Agenda - advice please

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by justbrowsin, Jun 19, 2011.

1. I would really appreciate the thoughts of colleagues re the following dilemna please and what you would do in this situation. In short - I accepted a new Head post in April and subsequently resigned from current HT post. I was aware the school was vulnerable in the eyes of Ofsted etc but it is the type of school in which I believe my forte lies. It transpires that the school is on the bottom 200 primary 'hit list' and therefore an unknown future lies ahead. I would not have applied to an Academy and certainly do not wish to commence a post which may be taken from me in Sept 2012 and if it doesn't I do not know the pay and conditions etc of an academy school. O to have a crystal ball!
    I have spoken with the union and it seems it rests on the willingness of my current post to let me retract my resignation. They have not advertised yet and I think they will have me back. However there is a risk of being known as a 'messer' and therefore becoming 'blacklisted' or as a someone who quits whan the going gets tough. It is not in my nature to accept a post and then go back on my word. However the goal posts have moved a CONSIDERABLE DISTANCE!!!
    Advice and reassurance would be very welcomed please. I really do not know which way to turn. The reckless side of me wants to stay and fight as I know I can make a huge difference to these children who deserve the best - and in my opinion thats not to be in an academy. Am I strong, brave or crazy enough to take on the government? It's head or heart time. My time scale is limited and for both schools and their families I must do something in the next week - I do not think I can waste time waiting to see for definite if we are on the first list. If we are not we will be on second phase.
    Over to you guys please....?

2. I would really appreciate the thoughts of colleagues re the following dilemna please and what you would do in this situation. In short - I accepted a new Head post in April and subsequently resigned from current HT post. I was aware the school was vulnerable in the eyes of Ofsted etc but it is the type of school in which I believe my forte lies. It transpires that the school is on the bottom 200 primary 'hit list' and therefore an unknown future lies ahead. I would not have applied to an Academy and certainly do not wish to commence a post which may be taken from me in Sept 2012 and if it doesn't I do not know the pay and conditions etc of an academy school. O to have a crystal ball!
    I have spoken with the union and it seems it rests on the willingness of my current post to let me retract my resignation. They have not advertised yet and I think they will have me back. However there is a risk of being known as a 'messer' and therefore becoming 'blacklisted' or as a someone who quits whan the going gets tough. It is not in my nature to accept a post and then go back on my word. However the goal posts have moved a CONSIDERABLE DISTANCE!!!
    Advice and reassurance would be very welcomed please. I really do not know which way to turn. The reckless side of me wants to stay and fight as I know I can make a huge difference to these children who deserve the best - and in my opinion thats not to be in an academy. Am I strong, brave or crazy enough to take on the government? It's head or heart time. My time scale is limited and for both schools and their families I must do something in the next week - I do not think I can waste time waiting to see for definite if we are on the first list. If we are not we will be on second phase.
    Over to you guys please....?

3. How good are you at bull **** talk? And how much do you think that the new school can be improved by? What is your back up if you become unemployed? Will your current chair of governors give you a good reference if you do need to leave the new school with a box in a hurry? The kids in the new school sound like they need you... What do you do after being a head though? Can you get ofsted trained? Any consultancy going? What ideas do the LA have? Good luck whatever you do.