1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Dumoe, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Dumoe

Dumoe New commenter

Hi,

Would anyone be able to advise if there is any guidance on whether a set of parents can be on the same governing board? I have looked online and there is no literature that I have been able to find which states that this is not allowed or is not good practice however from a personal perspective I need to be able to back up any issues that may arise if this came up. Any advise will be appreciated.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know what you mean by "a set of parents".

If you are an LA school your Instrument of Government will say how many Parent Governors you should have, if an academy your Articles will say how many Parent Trustees and/or LGB Parent Governors. They are elected or appointed as individuals, not as a "set".

What type of school are you?

What sort of "issues that may arise" do you have in mind?

When you say "I need to be able to back up any issues", what is your role?

Can you clarify please. More information would be helpful.

nomad and Marshall like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Do you mean a married couple? Or similar partnership? If so, I would presume there could be a very few conflict of interest situations in the same way as if a relative of the headteacher’s was a member of staff or a pupil. Where there could be a conflict of interest, then the other governor would not be allowed to take part in a discussion or vote. If you didn’t mean this, then I don’t know what you mean.

4. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

There's definitely no way we'd even consider managing me and my other half on the same board of governors (he'd run a mile in terror if the idea even occurred to anyone) - there's no way we'd manage to sort out childcare to cover half the stuff I do if he had to join in as well! (more of a factor with primary obviously)

5. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

Of course, there is no reference to this anywhere, as it is not forbidden.

I think you will find that governors are able to think and vote independently and do not look to their husbands or wives to make a decision.