1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by harsh-but-fair, Oct 29, 2011.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Welcome to TES, benny

2. Not improper but probably not sensible. If you have "huge trust issues within our GB" then setting up an informal meeting where some governors were not invited seems likely to make the problems worse rather than better. What did the Chair say before and after this meeting?

3. Martin, the chair told us he would bring drinking games!! Then failed to show. I contacted him after and he just said that we should go to the pub. Not sure what to think there. The GB of a year ago has virtually disappeared only 4 apart from the staff remain. History tells us that they were largely just there to "rubber stamp" decisions that the head had already made.
    I was not there during this time, but the remainder from last year barely speak to each other, several have explained that it's not because they don't like each other it's just because they don't know each other enough to get along.
    Although I am a new governor I have been a parent at this school for 13 years, I know the Head and other staff govs very well, trust me, they need a very strong team to sit with them!!

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

fairbenny, I think the advice the SIPs gave you was ill advised - recommending sectional meetings is a rather perverse way of helping a divided GB build a constructive team approach. I can see from your other posts that you're a fairly new governor; those of us who have been governors for a long time have rather less faith in the wisdom of SIPs when it comes to advising governors how to team build!
    It's not informal social events that you need, it's a formal GB training and development session for ALL governors, led by an experienced governor trainer, to help the GB identify the issues that are helping it do its job and the issues that are getting in the way, then agreeing a way forward. The Chair and Head need to discuss this and agree how to set it up in way that allows the staff governors to attend - it sounds like doing it without them isn't going to to get the result you want. I'd aim for holding it in the school day, with cover being provided for staff governors, then they'd have to attend!

It's better for governors to get to know each other through structured GB development sessions, not social events. If you all get on and want to meet socially later that's fine, but don't start there. Governors need to get on with each other professionally, there's no requirement to become each other's best friend, far less play drinking games!