1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governors stressing leadership team!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Kensington21, Jun 7, 2012.

1. The Chair of Govs at my school is hell bent on sending out a whole staff questionnaire that is specifically aimed at having a dig at the leadership team. The chair has written the questions on their own and says it is because three months ago a couple of staff had a moan at him. He hasn't said anything to anyone (although I do suspect other Govs on the sly) and has instead formulated quite a scathing set of questions. Can he send out the survey? Should he have consulted the Head if staff had moaned? Is the issue not day-to-day issues that the SMT should deal with? The chair is hell bent on letting the head know that he has the power and governance is above the head?? Lord knows that a survey at this time of year is not a good idea and will just escalate any ill feeling that may/may not be there between some members of staff?!

Any advice would be great!

2. Playing devils advocate a bit here but has it not crossed your mind to be concerned for the staff who moaned, do they perhaps have a genuine concern that they feel they cannot approach the leadership team with. Having said that I have little respect for governing bodies or their abilities.

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I'll be interested to see how this pans out. Ultimaltely the governors are in charge of the school and they are the only ones who can decide on the capability of the Head and the SLT. How many times have we read on here the bullying culture of our present SLT and apparently we cannot do anything about it or the number of times members of an SLT make bad decisions then change them. If I kept a diary of the number of cockups I have seen because a member of the SLT has handled something badly, lied to cover up their mistakes or laughed it off when we are all running around like headless chickens after being asked to do something worthless. Yo top it all most SLT do not even teach. So I say bring it head of Govs.

4. I couldn't agree more if the moans were genuine but it is more of a power struggle between a chair and a HT and originally moans by the staff were about the Govs themselves. The whole thing is very messy and people are needlessly being dragged into it.

I would also like to add though that when you're not an SLT member, perceptions can be somewhat warped. You, clearly have had a negative experience. I want advice on what to do as a bystander who is well respected by staff along with other members of the leadership team but is being dragged into a power struggle. I find the 'them and us' by some people on here a sad state of affairs when you look at how staff at all levels should be pulling together at a time when we're portrayed negatively by the politicians and the press.

5. Originally they moaned about the pressure from the Govs - the head supported them and dealt with it. Then they decided they didn't want to work with other colleagues and when mediation took place, they still weren't happy and I believe, made a passing comment to the chair who has latched on to it and is now using it as a tool to hang over the HT!

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

What about the staff governors? Are they involved? Can they intervene?

7. I'm one and the other staff gov is too scared of the chair!

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

How is the CoG going to gain access to all the staff without the HT's co-operation?

9. He thinks that if the Govs vote yes to his q'aire, the school has to send it out. All responses must be returned in a sealed envelope and he will analyse them. I'm all for a q'aire that is balanced but it's not!

10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

In my last school I did see incompetent management but I have also worked in an outsatnding school where the staff were truely collegiate and that's the point not to miss. If this is a power struggle and you respect your SLT then there needs to be a collegiate approach. You might approach your union reps. to decide the way forward on the auspicous of a union meeting to gather opinion and a unified approach to the questions being asked. This might be nipped in the bud before camps start to form.

11. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

You could always approach the clerk to the governors for advice. He or she should be able to find out what's what and advise accordingly.
    Meanwhile the other staff governor should step down in favour of someone who isn't scared of the chair.

12. Well said Siegen! It beggars belief in this day and age that a staff governor is paralysed by fear of a chair: s/he is being totally irresponsible - if not devoid of all integrity by remaining a staff governor.Can I also suggest that it the Clerk of Governors can't assist - and I'd like to believe they would/should be an ideal source of support for concerns - if you are an a LA school, there is usually an officer who liaises with governors, who could be approached. Maybe also post your concern on the Governor's forum on here?