1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governors out of the loop

Discussion in 'Governors' started by neddyfonk, Jul 6, 2016.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

It is is for confidentiality reasons that you cannot know individuals. You do not need to know individuals, your role is not analysing data. You do not need to know names to ask questions about data, performance, attendance,behaviour etc. Governors do not 'do' things, they ask questions of others. I have known an incident where governors have 'guessed' the name of a child being discussed (as we are a small school) and 'gossiped' about them on the playground to other parents. That is breaking the governors code of conduct and could lead to removal from the governing board.

If you want to do the things you suggest you need a find a paid job in a school as a bursar or something. It seems that being a governor is not what you thought it was.

Being a headteacher is not what I thought it was. Sometimes governors can be really obstructive but I expect they don't mean to be.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Did you mean to say 'not' @digoryvenn ?

Analysing data is surely one thing governors should be doing.

This is the latest in a long line of posts from @neddyfonk in which he wants to get too involved in operational decisions. Perhaps he will take up your suggestion.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Sorry Rott Weiler. I didn't mean to say 'not'; but not in the way to identify pupils or staff members. There are lots of useful pages for governors to look at in the RAISEONLINE documents.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  4. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

The point is you do not need to know the individual, you as a Governor need to know that there is a problem, for instance that a teacher is under-performing and that the Management ie the Head has put in place a process to deal with that. You don't need to know that Mrs Smith in 4c isn't teaching at a satisfactory level.

Which most Governors, unless financially trained or used to those systems would probably not understand. I am happy with a balance sheet, budget and basic details that I can ask for an expansion on. I have enough of an understanding of Finance to challenge obvious problems, and rely on the Authorities experts to tell me if there is something I have missed.

And what experience of education do you have to evaluate these items? I am not an educational expert, and so when a teacher with a few years experience tells me that they feel product X is of use I believe them. If my doctor tells me I need an operation I don't then go to Google and challenge his opinion, he's the expert. If you come to my Church to get married, I'll tell you how the service goes, because I'm the expert.

As Rottweiller has said, it does seem your getting bogged down in the minutiae of school life, rather than the big picture which is what Governors are responsible for.

bevdex, Jesmond12 and wanet like this.
  5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Sorry you both seem to have missed the point that there is nothing provided by the DfE that acts as a starting point for a good decision making about what resources or hardware / software might work well in their school. The end result is a school responds to an advert , decides to 'give it a try',has nothing to compare it with, not knowing there may be better products , then advises others via their informal networks whether it is good/ok/rubbish. Ironically the DfE previously promoted and offered discounts on products that they had never understood or worked out how they could be used to enhance the curriculum. I have looked at loads of resources built by amateurs and respected companies that are poorly designed and are patently not suitable for use in education. Assessing products is not a teachers job - they do not have enough time, neither is it mine.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Often school gets purchasing decisions wrong because they look to buy hardware / software and not a solution to their problems.

GeordieKC likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I ahven't missed your point at all @neddyfonk. I just don't agree with you and in my opinion the examples of you gave on this and your other threads here are mainly operational matters that governors shouldn't get involved with.

But in the matter of IT systems and software that is a different matter, and here I agree with you. Governors should be involved (although they shouldn't themselves be making decisions about what educational software the school should use). When we're talking about major purchases it's a governing body responsibility both under governors' general responsibility for finance/value for money, and under the specific financial approval rules of your LA (if you are an LA school) or the EFa (if an academy). To make those decisions governors do indeed need suitably detailed information, and individual governors with professional expertise in IT procurement can and should use that expertise to ask the right questions, and whether the right advice has been sought by the headteacher.

The DfE doesn't have to be the starting point for that. Neither the DfE nor LAs can afford to provide that support any longer. No good blaming them for that. It's austerity innit? Blame the bankers who shafted the country and walked away.

tryingtogetorganised likes this.