1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GOVERNORS OPERATIONAL OR STRATEGIC???/

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by deputygirl, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Can anyone clear this up for me? Am wondering if I have got it wrong as new head but should Govs be advising on who should have TLRs and who should be on SLT? also as part of my PM midterm review asking to see observation notes and gradings of staff and their PM documentation? according to Governors website they should only have access in relation to pay in regard to the review statements.
    Also if I have successfully met PM targets can they still not apply increment increase?
    And another thing.....premises want ot clear out the loft and take a small group room out of operation for at least a week when there is no where else for them to go and want to know what I'm going to do about it.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Oh God, don't get me started! I suggest you post this on Governors, also there's some really useful info about governance on the NAHT website. Speak to
    Governor services at your LA and get your governors trained. They need to understand their roles better.
    They can't ask to see information about individual observations of teachers if they are named. They are allowed to ask
    What proportion of teaching is satisfactory , good, outstanding etc. Staff pm documentation is totally confidential. Even Ofsted can't ask to see it.

3. You might also want to contact your NAHT regional officer, assuming you are an NAHT member. They should be happy to discuss the role of the GB with key governors. Certainly, if you have met your PM targets, you should be getting a pay rise. Again your union officer should be able to support you.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Governors should be agreeing the number and nature of TLRs and the number of posts on the SLT (Staffing structure). Much more of a grey area about whether there should be any governor involvement about who should have the TLRs, although if you are adding new posts to the SLT then governors should be involved in the interview process.
    No
    I think technically they can, but it's very rarely withheld in my experience.
    What do you mean by 'premises'?