1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governors' meetings held virtually - the future?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by nomad, Aug 9, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Governors' meetings held virtually via Zoom, Teams, Skype for Business, etc., have actually been very successful overall. Some governors have expressed the view that these meetings have been better organised than face-to-face meetings on the school premises.

Although pupils and staff will return in September, I shall advise the governors at the four schools for which I clerk to hold off on meeting at school for at least six months and continue with virtual meetings for now. A good number of the governors are past retirement and so are age-vulnerable (as am I).

I should be interested to know what plans other boards (or their clerks) may have for the future.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Interesting thought nomad.

We are making our decisons ad hoc as we go along so our GB meeting in October will be Zoom again.

I'm wondering we might do Committees virtual, I'm not convinced virtual meetings would be great for major strategic decisons, but maybe that's habit.

Governors also miss out on the valuable experience of seeing the school in action.

Vulnerability of governors is obviously relevant for the time being but when that no longer becomes an issue is it actually a good idea that governors could have never met another member of the GB in person?

Marshall and nomad like this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

We have held Zoom meetings, limited by one Governor having dreadful broadband. We have also held a hybrid meeting with some in school and some on Zoom. That worked better technically but I felt that the Zooming people were less involved. I think that's the path we will take despite its limitations.

Rott Weiler and nomad like this.
  4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

We've already set all of our meetings for 2020-2021 to be online meetings.

nomad likes this.
  5. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

Pity us, we have since March, held all of our meetings virtually as we closed two schools and set them up for amalgamation on 1 Sept 2020. All of the meetings have worked really well from small Committee meetings to FGBs of the old schools and the temp board of the new school.

To be frank, we will continue to hold meetings virtually as it is working really well for us.

nomad likes this.
  6. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

Only virtual meetings where the LA clerking service is used which, for us, is our termly full meeting. I admit our virtual meetings have proved very successful. We seem to focus more thus they take less time. Visitors are still be discouraged and, whilst we haven't taken a decision on committee meeting I suspect they will be virtual.

nomad, Lattelady and Rott Weiler like this.
  7. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

Coincidentally I've just had an update from the LA who have confirmed that they will not be clerking face to face meetings for, at least, this term.

nomad and Rott Weiler like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Joint Ofsted/NGA report "Governing in unprecedented times" just published. Relevant to this thread.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ernance_continuity_in_unprecedented_times.pdf

Based on focus group discussions with a small group (c30) governors on the issues they are identifying, priorities, pro's and con's of virtual meetings etc.

A number are thinking along the lines I had in mind earlier in the thread - once F2F meetings become possible again they might adopt a structure of Full GB F2F and Committees remote.

Also for NGA members who get the NGA 'Governing Matters' magazine on page 13 of September's is a discussion of pro's/con's of virtual meetings.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    nomad and Lattelady like this.