1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governors: Is it me or are they really the biggest waste of space?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by nuander, Nov 28, 2011.

1. nuander

nuander New commenter

Yet another governing body meeting: when will it all end? When will someone actually show/ prove/ demonstrate that the time invested in attending/ preparing etc for a GB meeting and time wasted liaising with them is time spent constructively??

As the govrernment agenda seems to be to get rid of QUANGOs etc; why cant we get rid of these and just have a board of education regionally which people can refer to. I understand you need someone to question/. but why torture me each week!!!!

Regards

2. You have a governing body meeting each week?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Blimey, that would be a waste of time!

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I think the answer is it's just you. Were you posting it on the Governors Forum expecting a different answer?

Just out of curiousity, in what capacity do you attend weekly governors' meetings? And why do they question you every week?

5. nuander what type of governor are you?

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I think we can already tell ....

7. nuander

nuander New commenter

Well I am actually the Head; and I don't have a weekly meeting; just to quantify that; just spend a lot of time each week providing info for governors.

However, no one has really given me any real examples of what work governors do that actually counterbalances the amount of work that you have to do for them. Don't get me wrong they are full of good intentions however I just feel that in 15 years of teaching Id be able to get on with a lot more without them!!1

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Yes indeed nuander, accountability is so tiresome. Many of us would rather not be accountable to anyone but that's not how life works. I find it hard to sympathise with you.

9. nuander

nuander New commenter

Well I'm still not convinced, despite my poor punctuation.

10. it is almost certainly 'just you'.
    There are inevitably some poor GBs but the majority are good or outstanding.
    perhaps you could post some descriptions of what you are reporting weekly and why?

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You don't think sitting down with some governors to attempt to change the situation for the better might help, then? You're not inclined to try to do anything about it?

12. If not the GB, then who will define the strategic vision for school?

Am I presumptuous in thinking that either (a) there isnt a strategic vision for your school or (b) that you would provide it?

If (a) then I'd suggest that as a governor you should raise it at your next meeting. "Why haven't we got a strategic vision for the school?"

If (b) then how would you know what the parents, the staff, the local community, the local authority, the local church, etc want from their local taxpayer-funded school?

And another think, if not the GB then who will be your critical friend, offering challenge when needed, support when necessary, and praise when it is due? Do you have someone/something else in mind to do that? And will you have to pay them?

And lastly, how will the school be accountable for the public monies it spends? Will it publish full details of all expenditure on its website? obviously including reasons for choosing specific suppliers, as well as details of competitive tenders undertaken?

And will you personally carry the can when you make a mistake and get things wrong, at financial cost to the public purse or at personal cost to a member of the school community? And what format will this acceptance of responsibility take? Will you resign immediately for instance?

And have you actually been on any Governor training since you became a governor?

I look forward to hearing from you.

PS I'd love to know, were you working last wek when many of your contemporaries were on strike?