1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governors conducting job interviews

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Looby-lou, Feb 11, 2012.

1. In our school job interviews are normally carried out by two school governors (I'm assuming that this is the norm in other schools). I was wondering though if someone could tell me is this still standard practice when one of the job candidates is a parent governor. Can they be seen as being completely unbiased when they clearly know the candidate?

2. In our school job interviews are normally carried out by two school governors (I'm assuming that this is the norm in other schools). I was wondering though if someone could tell me is this still standard practice when one of the job candidates is a parent governor. Can they be seen as being completely unbiased when they clearly know the candidate?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't see any problem in principle. Much the same situation arises in schools all the time whenever they are recruiting for a post and there both internal and external candidates. The internal candidate will invariably be known to some or all of the selection panel. The key thing is that the selection criteria are as far as possible objective and fairly applied. Knowing the internal candidate might be a disadvantage as well as an advantage to the candidate!
    I'm rather more concerned by your statement that "job interviews are normally carried out by two school governors". Just by governors? Where is the head? It's recommended by DfE that governors delegate all hiring and firing decisions below leadership group to the headteacher.

4. I've had 3 interviews so far at the school I work and out of those only the last one had the head present with the two governors.