1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governors and their roles

Discussion in 'Governors' started by cambo1967, May 10, 2012.

1. I have currently had a financial health check via our Local authority audit and they pinpointed a few areas which needed a slight improvement on. A report was sent to my headmistress who had a mmeeting with me and we talked through the items. She has now passed the information on to my chair of governors and vice chair who now want a meeting with me to go through these items again when I have already discussed this with my headteacher. My headteacher says they are my employers and have every right to call a meeting with me to discuss my job etc? s this the case and if so just who is my boss who I have to answer to ??

2. I have currently had a financial health check via our Local authority audit and they pinpointed a few areas which needed a slight improvement on. A report was sent to my headmistress who had a mmeeting with me and we talked through the items. She has now passed the information on to my chair of governors and vice chair who now want a meeting with me to go through these items again when I have already discussed this with my headteacher. My headteacher says they are my employers and have every right to call a meeting with me to discuss my job etc? s this the case and if so just who is my boss who I have to answer to ??

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What is your role in school?

4. Admin/Finance Officer

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

From what you've posted the Chair isn't having a meeting with you "to discuss my job" but to discuss the LA internal audit report. As governors have overall responsibility for a school's finances and are required to review any LA internal audit report and the schools response to the recommendations it seems entirely reasonable that they might want to discuss the report with you. Why do you see it as a problem?
    The governing body is the employer of all staff in school - either directly in a VA/Foundations school or on behalf of the LA in a Community/VC school - so you are employed by them. They aren't your direct line manager, that'll be whoever is named as your line manager in the school structure, probably the head, but the head can instruct you to do anything that's reasonably part of your job description. You are the finance officer so discussing the internal audit report would surely be part of your job?