1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governor Rights

Discussion in 'Governors' started by cornflake, Dec 15, 2018.

1. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Please can an expert clarify:
    Does ANY governor have the right to see confidential staff or pupil records?
    I am surprised by this assertion...

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I would have said no, just as any staff member does not have that right. Certain things will be covered by law, such as child protection, safeguarding etc.

I am sure that governors can, for certain purposes, view confidential files. Your question is a little imprecise. However, governors are not (or should not) be involved in day to day running of the school, so I don't believe they can ad hoc view files and nor would they have the right to ask. However, of a head teacher brings a matter of employment or a pupil related decision such as exclusion to the governors then I don't see why they would not have sight of the files.

What do you consider confidential? Quite often people regard personal as confidential, but there is a difference.

Lattelady and TheNorthC like this.
  3. cornflake

I can't go into too much detail ...
    but I mean in a more general sense rather than a specific case e.g. exclusion.
    Do Governors have the right to view Occupational Health reports for example? To view detailed pupil records which might contain information about family circumstances?
    I think the answer to both of those is no.
    But a governor is disagreeing.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Governors don't have any rights.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

6. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

I think I would ask that governor to direct me to the evidence to support his/her point of view!

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well, I'm a NationalLeader of Governance if that's what you mean by an expert....

Individual governors do not have rights to see or do anything much. The governing body, as a corporate body, has the rights though, and it can delegate that 'right' to individuals and committees (which must be by formal, minuted, delegations).

Governors authorised by the governing body (or by statute law) to carry out legal function of the governing body have the right to see any file they need to carry out that function. e.g. governors considering an exclusion are entitled to see (indeed, required to see) the pupil's SEN records and reviews. SEND CoP specifically says that governing bodies are entitled to see SEN records to enable them to carry out their statutory SEND functions.

A governors' committee exercising its employer functions can - and should - see all relevant files. OH records included.

Another example, under STPCD it is the governing body who have the statutory duty to review teachers' pay taking into account their PM outcomes. Not the head (although in practice frequently delegated to the head). Governors would have to see teachers' PM outcomes to do this.

But neither the governing body nor any individual governor has the right to see any file containing personal information on staff or pupils out of mere curiosity. It would breach the principles of GDPR.

So it's not really a question of 'what files can governors see' but 'for what purpose do governors need to see them'. Ultimately there is no file that governors cannot require you to give to them if they need it carry out a statutory function of the governing body.

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

No

9. cornflake

Thank you Rott Weiler - really helpful and confirmed my thinking. I'll go back to this particular governor.
    Worrying really, as they are also a HT (in another school)...

10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Then they are confusing their HT role with a governor role.

Marshall likes this.
  11. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Everything we get is anonymized but often at a level where if you know the kids and staff as well as some more involved governors do you can tell who is being referred to. Have had a few wry smiles spotting my own children mentioned in various reports and data breakdowns that way (I'm one of those pesky parent governors). If there's a child who can manage to progress in the most awkward and unconventional fashion going it'll be mine (sorry - they get it from their father I swear)!

12. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

It's all a minefield really.

digoryvenn likes this.
  13. cornflake

Hopefully now sorted! Thank you everyone for your advice and support.

digoryvenn likes this.