1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Governor Induction

Discussion in 'Governors' started by neddyfonk, Feb 15, 2016.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

According to official sources it takes between two and three years for a new governor to feel comfortable in the role. Surely that can be reduced significantly by a better induction. Local authority induction sets the scene fairly well for the responsibilities and boundaries a governor should abide by but says little about what to expect in terms of team building, communication or access to information in a standard form.
    Does your school have a formal induction policy/plan that is more than just a learning walk, website and a schedule of available training sessions ? Although I could have asked for one I was never even supplied with a site plan !

2. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

As a new,co opted ,governor this year ,I have had to follow a steep learning curve but have been supported by both the Head and the GB,especially by the Chair of Governors .Usually a GB has an experienced governor who has the task of mentoring new members of the board.As mine is a new GB ,convened as a federation of two Governing bodies for two schools,there has been a fair few new governors joining this year and most of the training has been set up for us. Before deciding if I wished to become a governor I was taken on a full tour of the schools, discussed the schools ethos,had a look at all the polices and once I had made my decision was talked through all the documents I needed to sign. For preference,new governors should be interviewed by the GB ,apparently As we have 5 new governors this year, we have all attended 3 x two hours induction sessions for new governors ,which were a real eye opener to me !.Since the first Full Governors meeting ,where we signed several more important documents ,we have all been invited to attend staff training sessions ,visit lesson planning meetings ,become involved in a committee we wished to join,take part in monitoring visits with another more experienced governor alongside and signed up for a governor hub which contains all the schools` policy documents,past meetings minutes etc and which allows serves as a forum for us to ask questions, set up meetings,upload useful documents ,cascade training ,raise issues and talk to other governors and the Head ,pre and post Full Governors and committee meetings. I also volunteer in one of the schools once a week . From the new governors induction sessions we received valuable ,sample policy, documents which we have passed on to improve the formal induction process of new governors.

neddyfonk likes this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Thanks curlyk - that was significantly more than I got at my first community governor appointment 3yrs ago. I decided I had no point of reference so joined a second school last year which was more dynamic but the learning curve still fell well short of what I expected. Part of the problem for me is the generic use of terms such as 'intervention' , CPD,'guided reading' etc which are everyday activities for teachers but things I have never done or seen.

4. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

As we were told on the Governor induction course, there is no such thing as a stupid question !.I am a retired teacher of 35 years standing, but have been retired 18 months and even I was bewildered by the amount of new acronyms used in the Head teachers reports ,Full Governors Meetings etc .How a non educationalist copes with all the stuff thrown at Governors in reports,meetings etc, without a thorough preparation and proper induction period, is beyond me. I read through the last set of minutes from the 2nd Full governors meeting that I had attended and it made me smile to see how many questions I had asked in that meeting. I volunteer at one of the nurseries at which I am governor, so I see daily what the teachers are dealing with,how the policies are applied etc . I taught in secondary schools so a lot of what a nursery school does is new to me . If you do not know what something means ,ask someone who knows . Do you have monitoring visits where you can ask to see some of these activities in action ? I know it must be really hard for working governors to keep an eye on the school in actuality. At a governors conference I attended ,two weeks ago, one of the session leaders said he, as Chair of his Governing body, was actively seeking teachers to join his school`s governing body ,but I thought the thrust of Governing bodies policy recently was to have as wide a skills mix as possible,for the benefit of the school and its pupils .
    We were given a list of key educational acronyms used in reporting by the Head teacher etc, when we joined the governing body of the schools,in September ,it was also put on our governor hub to peruse at leisure.
    Good luck and keep asking questions at your governor meetings .They will soon tell you when it gets annoying !!!

neddyfonk likes this.