1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government ******.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bobbbs, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

They're now going to spend £10 million to recruit 600 "career" change teachers.

That's a recruitment cost of £16,666 each. How bloody stupid are they? Like, Jesus christ. Maybe don't spend £10 million on recruitment, and spend it on retention? Or a workload reduction initiative? I despair at how stupid people are.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Wonder how many will last 3 years!;)

3. Lelly64

Lelly64 New commenter

I am taking early retirement this Summer as I'm 55 in May. I am fed up of being micromanaged and told how I should "improve" my teaching after managing quite nicely for 32 years. Without this and all the targets and performance management nonsense I would have been happy to stay on for another few years. Knowing this is my last year in teaching is the only thing that keeps me going.

4. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

How does that compare with the typical cost of recruiting and training a graduate?

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Isn't the cost of training graduates being met by the individuals being trained though? An article in today's news told us that on 40% of tuition fees was being spent on teaching. The other 60% was being spent on maintaining the crumbling infrastructure of universities.

It's no wonder an education is so expensive, if tuition fees are going on building maintenance rather than tuition. Why isn't the system more honest?

6. letap

letap Occasional commenter

How about enticing back some of the experienced teachers who left prematurely?
    Or would that be an admission that the recent policy of getting rid of experienced (and relatively expensive) teachers and replacing them with cheap and inexperienced teachers was a terrible mistake?

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The simple truth is that skilled people know their worth and if they are prevented from doing their jobs professionally, they'll walk, as they have being doing in their droves. You can only take the pi$$ out of skilled people for so long. If you want to entice them back, the system needs to be reformed to make it worth their while.

8. Photo51

No. The cost of training a teacher is in the range £15k-26k a while ago so £16k is in the ballpark.

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

They had 'return to nursing'. My friend was a nurse at the time and told me it was great-it got people who had been trained to put patients, not paperwork and policies, back on the wards.
    But do they WANT those of us who were used to having caring, experienced teachers as our leader back-in today's Academy World?

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Exactly. Well said!

catbefriender likes this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't think any amount of money would entice me back now.

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The only "changes" I ever made were to do what they wanted for "observation", but that was of course biased. There was one "observer" who always failed me, then I would pass with another. My classroom was where I taught, the students listened and learned, without all the prescriptive nonsense. They could "career change" all the "observers" (ofsted "inspectors" and the ones on silly money in schools) into real teachers, cut their salaries and see how long THEY last,and just how completely bloody useless they are at actual teaching.

13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Remember there over 330,000 thousands qualified teachers of working age OUT of the classroom and 100,000 NQTs who haven't completed Induction, plus tens of thousands on the Return to Teaching programme and that's ONLY for Maths, MFL and Sciences so there are loads and loads of teachers wanting to get back in, but can't. So make more to join the hundreds of thousands NOT working in schools. :confused:

Jamvic and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  14. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

It is SO easy to find fault, but it's hard to do it perfectly. Would LOVE to see some of the idiots who have observed me in the past teaching the same classes. The problem is most people fall to pieces when they are being observed formally and can not perform at their optimum level. Also observation disrupts the flow in the classroom and probably affects the coverage of the curriculum in an attempt by teachers to produce the 'perfect in every way lesson'. Wouldn't it be great if some university academic did a paper on the benefits/disadvantages/effects on/to attainment of the constant observations of teachers? And whether if teachers, were regarded as professional, and expected to know what they were doing, and were just left in peace, whether this would improve harmony in the classroom and better results.

I mean do surgeons get formally observed doing surgery? If what we do really is important, then it should be treated as such.

Jamvic and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Exactly. I think those in charge know that these "initiatives" won't make the blindest bit of difference - they're not designed to. They're just for show. They don't really want experienced teachers in classrooms, asking for more than minimum wage, and unwilling to toe the multitude of lines.

The "ideal teacher", in today's state education business, would be anyone (the fewer qualifications the better) willing to do the job, for minimum wage, on zero-hour contracts. Implementing that is relatively easy. The tricky bit is persuading the parents/voters that any problems are the fault of the teachers. The media are doing a fine job of helping out there.

Jamvic and catbefriender like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The day of zero hour teaching contracts is just around the corner

catbefriender likes this.
  17. Photo51

Strangely enough, that would be the best way for schools to hold and pay a pool of supply teachers.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No it wouldn't - have you ever been a supply teacher ?

19. Photo51

Why is it not the best way to employ people for multiple variable durations over long time periods? What are the better contractual arrangements?