1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government to ban complaints about faith schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by john_matthewsg, Jan 26, 2016.

1. john_matthewsg

john_matthewsg New commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Disgraceful. But, in time, this could rebound against faith schools and help fuel the campaign to rid us of their pernicious existence.

neddyfonk and Compassman like this.
  3. john_matthewsg

Maybe but it seems like - to me at least - that faith schools are our NRA. That is the public are pretty much against but them but they have so much power in lobbies and so entrenched within society that it's hard to see any (influential) politician being brave enough to come out against them.

Compassman likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

People may complain all they wish. What's happening here is an end to various campaigns of admission challenges as oblique bids to abolish faith schools where no good arguments may be made.

If the BHA and the NSS want their own beliefs taught in schools then let them use the free school programme to build their own nests rather than playing cuckoo in faith schools, and good luck to them.

chelsea2 and monicabilongame like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Doubt the change will achieve what the government thinks it will. It still allows complaints by local parents and I'm sure campaigning groups will have local members who are happy to put the challenges to the Schools Adjudicator.

6. Vince_Ulam

There it is. Where no good argument is to be made, wave a wild analogy.

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

As a secularist I have some sympathy with Vince the faither here. Bureaucratic manoeuvring will achieve nothing ultimately, as seems the case here. Where I disagree with Vince is that no good direct arguments can be made. Oh yes they can.

8. Vince_Ulam

Funny how Eureka the faither says good arguments may be made and there ends his post.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

One only has to recount how silly religious beliefs are to make a good argument in favour of mitigating the effect of religious memes from infected adults on children.

Funny how faithers are usually too embarrassed to list their beliefs themselves!

10. Vince_Ulam

Faither Eureka has faith in the existence of intangible, invisible, immeasurable spirits - he calls them 'memes'.

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What makes you think people are embarrassed about their beliefs? Perhaps their beliefs are so close to their hearts, and so personally important to them that they are not prepared to put them up for non-believers to mock.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Is there any positive argument about quality of education and results of faith schools, or are people against them regardless of any such criteria?

13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I think the BHA have a massive agenda. In general faith schools are usually considered to be good, with a lot of parents wanting their children to go there, whether they have a faith or not.

14. john_matthewsg

That's the whole point of BHA's argument. People want to send their kids there but can't. They are discriminated against (with tax payer money) merely down to the fact they don't believe in magic sky men.
    I have no problem with private faith schools just think church and state should not be in bed together. Especially when only about 10% of the country still go to christian churches.

15. Vince_Ulam

Let me fix this for you, the BHA and the NSS: Don't believe in 'magic sky men'? Don't send your kids to a school where people do.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Believe in 'magic sky men' - and want it taught in school - set up a privately paid for school and don't sponge off the rest of us thanks, just to satisfy your emotional and intellectual failings.

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I thought faith schools were generally oversubscribed? Doesn't look like parents are against them.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

So on your planet - Uranus, no doubt - religious people don't pay taxes.

19. john_matthewsg

Of course they're oversubscribed. In many places there is no other choice!

58% object to them either not existing full stop or at least not being state funded.
    http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/polling-faith-schools

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  20. john_matthewsg

So in theory lets say a new hospital was set up that prioritised Hindu patients. This would not be a problem for you?
    If it is, why are schools treated differently?