1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government solution to teacher shortage and agencies milking schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by silkywave, Apr 13, 2018.

1. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

I just hope that this unified recruitment portal also leads to a set of standardised application forms. Having to fill out a new seven page application for each post I want to apply to is so daft when they're all asking the same questions (just with the school's unique header at the top, with minor formatting changes).

I think to myself every time, why don't I just write up a CV and work in a different industry instead? I can apply to 20 of those jobs in the time it takes me to apply to a single school...

2. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Do this, add a covering letter, saying what you're interested in and send it off to the schools you'd like to work at. I got my current job this way and I know of friends who have had similar success. I am currently about to do the same again. I have been updating the CV and putting together a speculative letter.....

well worth a try.

PeterQuint and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I got a job where the school phoned me, asked me in, we had a chat and they offered me the job. However I still then had to fill in the umpteen page application form!

SomethingWicked and nervousned like this.
  4. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

Me too

Scintillant likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

This is definitely tinkering at the margins.

The obvious solution to this problem (and quite a few teaching problems) is to make the profession attractive so there are plenty of new recruits and the current incumbents want to stay put. However this 'solution' barely makes the description of tinkering at the margins.

6. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, as others have said, many of these vacancies that agencies tout do not actually exist. The only ones that do exist, in my experience, are the unpaid ones!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. JohnJCazorla

Have I misread the article.

This initiative seems to be addressing the problem that schools can't attract staff so they have to go through agencies to fill permanent posts. Other posters seem to think this is part of the 'pay agencies lots of money to cover lessons' problem.

I might be part of this problem (as an agency supply teacher) but my attempts to solve this by going direct to schools have failed miserably.

8. Jolly_Roger12

This my experience, too. Schools seem to be connected by an umbilical cord to agencies. Not only is it much easier for schools to let agencies do their initial recruitment, it allows them try and impose unacceptable pay and conditions on teachers. We all know tricks:

1. CS rates for a teacher rebranded as a 'learning facilitator'.
    2. Long, unpaid 'trial periods'. "You will have a three month trial period. If the school keeps you after this, you will be paid for it, otherwise look on it as good experience."
    3. "Since you have been out of teaching for a while, we think you would benefit from a period of 'voluntary work', so the school can get to know you."

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It doesn't matter over here, so probably not.

10. Scintillant

The "problem" seems to be that there are many teachers who have "left" the profession / stopped working in schools, who are now available on supply. Due to so many teachers having "left" the profession and few people joining or staying long, there is now a major shortfall. Many of these teachers who have "left" the profession are now working on supply and schools are having to re-employ essentially the same people that "left" schools previously. Only now it's costing them a lot of money and they often don't know what they're getting on a daily basis. And those teachers are earning less, while a third party is coining it in.

What a success!

Genius!

11. silkywave

silkywave Senior commenter

You’ve summed it up better than I could @Scintillant.

Scintillant likes this.
  12. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Maybe this will prove to be like a dating agency. Schools say who they need, teachers say who they are, the site sticks them together.

Perhaps this could be a way for the government to reduce workload. Every school’s details are published, including data on workload surveys. Teachers could tell the site not to pair them up with a school with a low rating.

That’d throw the cat among the pigeons.

13. JohnJCazorla

Lovely idea but schools will easily find a way to abuse that measure, especially as it's not really ....... measurable

14. install

install Star commenter

Wasn't there an attempt years ago to reduce costs by having Cover Supervisors in some schools ? Surely the real hidden issue is teacher stress and illness.

The answer may simply be to improve working conditions.

Janettap likes this.
  15. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

If the government really wants to improve things then even better than free advertising would be to take recruitment responsibility and pay rates out of the hands of despotic SLT. Do it all centrally. A teacher gives his details to a government agency just once, and then indicates which schools with vacancies he wishes to be considered for. The agency decides his suitability and pay level and the school has to take the teacher: and also can't fire him directly or decide on pay increments.

This would definitely save a lot of time and money, put a dent in teacher shortage numbers, and put those jumped-up heads and SLT in their place.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  16. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Pretty easy to make it workable.

Obviously the surveys would NOT be done by the school itself.

A questionnaire for staff who leave has been suggested.

17. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

Teachers should post reviews on Glassdoor. Then the recruitment crisis can be properly targeted.

18. Scintillant

The answers are indeed simple but are now going to be very difficult to implement and will take many years to work through the system. It first requires a lot of people to say "We were wrong", and that's the bit that usually prevents progress. And if those people are still pulling the strings you can basically forget a proper solution

nervousned, install and JohnJCazorla like this.
  19. Jolly_Roger12

@David Getling: ILEA had such a scheme, for 'pool' and 'divisional' staff.

20. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

All 3 are illegal.