1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government response to Wolf

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Clarerees, May 12, 2011.

1. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Hmmm. I've been pondering going back to work as I'm on maternity leave at the moment. One of the most depressing things I've realised (probably blindingly obvious to most people) is that many of my students can never achieve their potential, despite whatever their intelligence is, because of their backgrounds.
    My little boy is only a few months old, but already he owns more books than most of my students' parents and, to be blunt, is just exposed to 'intelligent stuff' i.e. he wakes up listening to The Today programme, listens to his dad complaining about politics, has already been to museums etc. I don't mean I'm taking him to French lessons, or whatever, but his background already gives him so many more advantages than the majority of my students.
    Maybe it's this social deprivation that we need to tackle first as, to be honest, I can't really change students' lives radically in the five hours I have them each fortnight for 38 weeks a year.

2. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

"Government response to Wolf"
    all a bit of huff and puff if you ask me ........

3. So those that don't (mainly won't rather than can't) achieve at 16 will be made to stay in school to cause chaos and havoc in an effort to get excluded. Brilliant! Why didn't they think of that before!
    Yes, Gove had already hinted at this and I'm a staunch supporter. Exam boards won't be happy about the lost revenue though!

4. I have to admit when it was passed round the office this afternoon my first thought was 'Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin." [​IMG]

5. Right, so here's the plan:
    1) No modular GCSEs. This means either (a) fewer passes at 16 or (b) a further dumbing down of the content/grade boundaries. Option (a) is, of course, political suicide in the UK. Option (b) means further erosion of confidence in the qulaity of the qualification. And that's just to enable pass rates (about 55%? can someone look it up?) to ramin the same.
    2) Apprenticeships will have Functional Maths or GCSE to choose from. So, kids who are often (NOTE not always but often) less academically able will have to sit an academic qualification to complete their apprenticeship. Hmmm, that'll be attractive to providers, having kids who can't pass the course.
    3) There will be more money for 19-24 year olds to pass GCSE, but everybody will pass by the age of 19. Unless this means that they know already that many will fail to pass even by the age of 19.
    4) They are going to heko us to become better teachers by building on NCETM etc, despite funding for CPD being ripped away in budget cuts. Blue skies thinking indeed!
    All in all, as inspiring as an Alex Ferguson interview to the BBC.

cyolba, looking forward to the brght new future where everyone has prizes in English and Maths :)