1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government proposals - Training Our Next Generation of Outstanding Teachers

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anon331, Aug 11, 2011.

1. The Government has just released it's proposals for changes for trainee teachers, though it won't affect this year's trainees just wondered what people's thoughts are?

Here's the link to the proposal document: http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/t/training%20our%20next%20generation%20of%20outstanding%20teachers.pdf

I think there are some great bits in there and some very wrong bits too. I think scrapping the IT QTS skills test is good, it's a pointless one anyway! I think it's a good idea to get people to do them before too personally.

I don't know about anyone else, but my selection process did assess my numeracy, literacy and interpersonal skills. Can't imagine an institution not assessing them!

I find the bursary system absolutely ridiculous!! £20,000 for a graduate with a 1st who wants to teach Maths, Chemistry or Physics?! What in the world are the Government thinking? They scrapped the bursaries for this year saying that it just encouraged people to train and never actually teach. Surely 20 grand will encourage that even more so!? I find it ridiculous to know that this year I'll get no bursary but next year I'd get £9k. I don't see how you can distinguish the quality or potential of a teacher based upon their degree classification. I think that yes, it's important that teachers are able to achieve academically but I don't think it's the be all and end all and I don't think that a graduate with a 1st has 'outstanding potential' over a graduate with a 2:1 who they deem to only have 'good potential'. So much more goes into making an outstanding teacher than having a first class degree. Personally think that's the most ridiculous thing to have come out of Michael Gove's mouth.

2. The Government has just released it's proposals for changes for trainee teachers, though it won't affect this year's trainees just wondered what people's thoughts are?

Here's the link to the proposal document: http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/t/training%20our%20next%20generation%20of%20outstanding%20teachers.pdf

I think there are some great bits in there and some very wrong bits too. I think scrapping the IT QTS skills test is good, it's a pointless one anyway! I think it's a good idea to get people to do them before too personally.

I don't know about anyone else, but my selection process did assess my numeracy, literacy and interpersonal skills. Can't imagine an institution not assessing them!

I find the bursary system absolutely ridiculous!! £20,000 for a graduate with a 1st who wants to teach Maths, Chemistry or Physics?! What in the world are the Government thinking? They scrapped the bursaries for this year saying that it just encouraged people to train and never actually teach. Surely 20 grand will encourage that even more so!? I find it ridiculous to know that this year I'll get no bursary but next year I'd get £9k. I don't see how you can distinguish the quality or potential of a teacher based upon their degree classification. I think that yes, it's important that teachers are able to achieve academically but I don't think it's the be all and end all and I don't think that a graduate with a 1st has 'outstanding potential' over a graduate with a 2:1 who they deem to only have 'good potential'. So much more goes into making an outstanding teacher than having a first class degree. Personally think that's the most ridiculous thing to have come out of Michael Gove's mouth.