1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government guidelines - 500g of red meat a week

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ljr, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ljr

ljr New commenter

Will this make you alter your eating habits or are you already eating lots of fish, chicken & vegetarian meals?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I bet I average less than that per decade...

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'm reading a book called Eat Less Meat, More Veg, which says you only need 50g of protein a day- about half a steak. Thesuthor advocates eating less meat, but of a much higher quality. That's pretty much my theory, too. I think 500g red meat a week is too much, personally.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

We now eat less than 500g of red meat a week, which does indeed seem like a lot.
    Nothing to do with bloody government guidelines though.
    Even though I love red meat more than almost anything in the world, it does seem sensible to eat a bit less of it. I'd say we eat it no more than once or twice a week, with chicken or game being eaten once or twice, fish similarly and mainly veggie dinners being eaten 3-4 times per week.
    Although it all depends what we have for dinner on Sunday, as that tends to influence our meals for the week.

5. I believe red meat is iron-rich which probably explains the guidelines. We probably eat it once or twice, at most, a week with the bulk of meals being chicken/eggs or veggie.

6. I would say that on average I eat (much) less than 500g of red meat each week.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I've just completed an online meat order with our butcher which I'm just about to submit ready to pick up tomorrow - we do a bulk order every 4-6 months or so and freeze it, as having moved away from the area, it's not convenient to visit regularly and there are certain discounts for ordering online. These are our staples as well, the odd luxury item gets bought up too, if we see it on our travels. It occured to me that, given the focus of this thread that the red meat alone is well over 10 kilos in weight - although this will last the two of us for months!
    Beef shin 1 kg; ox cheek - 1 kg; brisket - 1 kg; beef skirt - 1 kg; hanger steak - 500g; minced beef - 1kg; belly pork - 1 kg; pork spare ribs - 1kg; pigs' cheeks - 1 kg, pork chops - 500g; pork sausages - 500g; lamb breast - 1 kg; 2 rabbits; 8 chicken thighs; 2 chickens.
    We'll doubtless pick up a couple of extras of whatever's looking nice there when we arrive
    We sound like absolute carnivores, but I still think we eat less than the average Brit. Lots of the above are cheaper cuts and it's all free range or organic. Even though there's a vast amount there, it comes to less than £100 which isn't bad for 4-6 months worth of meat.

8. ljr

ljr New commenter

I buy all our meat from the Farmers Market, and have been invited to the farm to see the animals, to watch the lambing, to see the bull who 'fathers' all of our beef. The farmer makes his own sausages - do they count as 'processed'? It is only his meat with some rusk and spices added. The bacon is organic and from free range pigs, surely it must be better than a supermarkets budget range? I plan all of our meals to include a lot of fish (also from the farmers market), veg (organic) dishes and (farmers market) chicken, and we don't eat a tremendous amount of red meat, but when we do I really enjoy it & wouldn't want to cut it out.

9. I doubt I eat 500g of red meat a month, let alone a week.

10. Oh, and nothing to do with gov guidelines - I never listen to them!

11. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Haven't eaten any meat at all for 20 years and I'm doing fine!

12. 500g of red meat seems a bit much to be honest... I probably eat only slightly more than that in an average month.

13. Only red meat we really eat (apart from rarely thinly sliced beef in fajitas) is in the form of mince.
    I don't listen to any Govt guidelines though - wait around long enough and they always change them back to what they were previously anyway!