1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government drops self-identification plan for trans people

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Sep 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Not sure how long this thread will last, but amongst all the nonsense (most from Government) in the news these days, it is good to see a rare outbreak of commonsense:

Government drops self-identification plan for trans people

Trans people have attacked the current process - requiring a medical diagnosis - as intrusive and demeaning

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nder-recognition-act-lgbt-rights-b528630.html

Changes to gender recognition laws ruled out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54246686

"The government has ruled out changes to the law to make it easier for people to have their gender legally recognised.

They have rejected calls, backed in a 2018 consultation, for people to be able to change their birth certificates without a medical diagnosis.

Ministers said reform of the 2004 Gender Recognition Act was not the "top priority" for transgender people.

Equality campaigners said it was a "missed opportunity" and showed a "shocking failure of leadership".

But women's rights groups applauded the decision as a "victory for fairness and common sense".

Ministers are pledging action to make it easier for trans people to obtain a Gender Recognition Certificate and to improve healthcare services for them"

Implications for schools?.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Nothing changing so nothing changes?

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

There remains a need to protect sportswomen from mediocre men.

WB, EmanuelShadrack, vannie and 4 others like this.
  4. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Does there?

5. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Of course.

Here’s a question for you:

What is your definition of woman?

6. LondonCanary

Certainly. That's why men and women do not normally compete against each other in most sports where strength, size and endurance are important. Recent years have seem mediocre men identifying as women beating women at the top of their game.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  7. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

But they don’t.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

They don't?

[​IMG]

9. LondonCanary

They don't?
    [​IMG]

Kandahar, vannie, artboyusa and 2 others like this.
  10. LondonCanary

They don't
    [​IMG]

Kandahar, WB, vannie and 3 others like this.
  11. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

ajrowing likes this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Everyone else out of step, then :rolleyes:.

vannie, EmanuelShadrack and nomad like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's the answer I kick myself still for not giving my child psychologist over sixty years ago.

nomad likes this.
  14. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

Why the sneery tone?

I compete in running, I am very average in my age group, but I love the camaraderie and support that runners give each other, and I love to see my personal best improve, and my final position creep up.

What causes me great distress, is even at our level, transwomen knocking my finishing position back over and over again, whether in the local park run of 150, or a major event of 20 000.

It isn't fair, its mean and nasty, and it totally goes against the spirit of the sport.

This is certainly an attack on "the sisterhood" as you call it. Many women get deeply upset about this intrusion into our area, and when the top places in women's races ALL go to transwomen, and women themselves are displaced from our own event,we are entitled to be upset.

We are not bigots. We are women who want the women's cataogry to be for women.

You don't have any right to sneer at us.

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It's not bigoted to say that sex and biology are real.
    It's not bigoted to say that someone with a male body, with male strength and stamina shouldn't be competing against women in women's sports.
    Trans rights are human rights and everyone should be free to live the life of their choosing in safety.
    But women's rugby? Women's cycling? Women's boxing and wrestling? Just no.

16. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

Was the gender recognition act about sport? I didn't think it was and it seems that opposition to it here relates to issues as they currently exist?

17. LondonCanary

If men self- identify as women and demand access to. women's sport it would make a bad situation worse. Dropping the GRA gives hope that women's sport might ontinue to be sport for women.

Kandahar likes this.
  18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Wow this thread's been going for over 10 hours without being locked.

Surely it's just a question of time...

WB and nomad like this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Controversial :D

Typo corrected - I trust you don't mind

WB and nomad like this.
  20. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Opposition was also about penis owners having access to women and girl's spaces and the safety issues involved in that.

rararasputin and WB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.