1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government did not follow UK policy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 27, 2020.

1. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I was going to write the same thing.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Really? I had't heard that. Someone is going to come round from the government and remove them? Just cutting off the national gas supply is easier I suppose. How soon is 'soon'?

I read somewhere that 85% of UK houses are currently heated by gas. So what's to happen to us all? Is the gas just going to be turned off and we'll just be left to shiver in the cold like latter day victims of the Highland clearances?

It's beginning to sound very authoritarian too. Considering how much we've heard in recent years about the 'will of the people' being paramount why isn't a referendum planned on whether people want to surrender their gas heating when no alternative seems to be widely available?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Gas boilers will be banned in new homes in England under an updated "Future Homes Standard", seeking to reduce carbon emissions by 78 percent by 2025. ... A previous deadline for banning gas boilers from new homes by the middle of the next decade had been set by former chancellor Philip Hammond.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter