1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government did not follow UK policy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 27, 2020.

1. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Then they should be there by 10pm at the latest:rolleyes:

ajrowing and Jamvic like this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, the case was about the effect of Grayling's National Policy Statement on Airports, rather than on giving specific permission to start development at Heathrow (which, as I have explained, has not yet been given, and will be down to the planning inspectorate and a number of other agencies).

Thanks.

3. florian gassmann

HS2 is not going to cut carbon emissions, but the argument is that it can achieve only 5% of carbon emissions per person per km compared with the same journey by plane. The same journey by car would generate 67g of emissions. If the train's electricity is generated by renewable means, the 2050 target may be met (although I believe there is some controversy over this).

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't understand how both those things can be true.

6. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Don't forget that the Houses of Commons had a vote on it, just for fun as well.

7. florian gassmann

Sorry. The first statement should have said:

The “Airports National Policy Statement" was submitted by Theresa May's government, not the current government.
    It was this statement, outlining the need for more runway capacity in the south east, that was found to be unlawful (despite the fact that the Commons voted for it). The statement didn't include approval of the Heathrow expansion, but it did state that the government preferred one of the three proposed schemes if Heathrow Ltd decided to go ahead.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So does this mean that every new housing estate, every road expansion, every new factory or new shopping centre can now be stopped using "climate change" as the new NIMBY rallying cry? Because that's how it looks...

Meanwhile our countries infrastructure is built for 55 million as we power on towards 70 million...

Kandahar and alex_teccy like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And Chris Peckham proves me right.... Cheers Chris.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51722251

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The climate change act !
    What about a sea act? Or a cloud act? Or a rain act?
    We could go the whole hog and have an earth rotation act:rolleyes:

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And another...

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-fossil-fuel-power-projects-heathrow-judgment

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And the roads...

https://transportactionnetwork.org.uk/2020/03/02/the-road-to-tackling-climate-change/

13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Thank goodness the courts are upholding the law. We only have to look at our floods, cliff erosion and deaths related to air pollution to see how important this is. Abroad the bush fires, destruction of the rain forest and melting of the ice cap threaten our planet. We all can do something to help.

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Yes. All these things are happening because of climate change. Scream it from the cliff tops - all hail Greta!

emerald52 likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Of course we could have the "right to procreate" challenged under the Climate Change Act... after all population drives climate change. And immigration should be reduced to zero obviously if we follow the same logic.

border_walker likes this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

And women's cosmetics to be restricted. All that plastic!

17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Exactly! Greta is calling out the vested interests in fossil fuels and other polluting industries. Thank goodness for our future security.

18. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

When you won't be able to heat your home, buy that next phone upgrade (not that that'll bother me), take a well earned holiday abroad, afford the non-vegan option on the menu, drive a private car (unless you can afford electric).

All because some people are foolish enough to believe it never flooded in the past, wild fires in Australia are a new phenomenon, and that the destruction of the Amazon reainforest is linked to climate change.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Feel free to turn your heating off to cancel your vested interest.

Kandahar likes this.
  20. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Soon you won’t be able to have a gas boiler and will have to have an electric car. All new houses should have renewable energy sources and the government should support renewable energy. Good move on wind power this week but more can be done. My architect husband was commissioned to design a private house with every sort of help to reduce energy. It costs £50 a year to heat. Of course it was expensive to build as a one off but it can, and must. be done. My next car will be electric. I live in rural area so no public transport around.