1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government considering compulsory vaccines

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Guest, Sep 29, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Actually removed from the school, I think (or break/lunchtimes, trips etc)

border_walker and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This happens in Japan.

Whether or not the concerns about MMR are valid is not the question - the government (as in Japan) knew offering separate shots would have many more go back to the vaccine.

I cannot know but I am pretty certain rates would increase if that was done here, too.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

And it is not happening, hence the need to consider other options - as above, separating the vaccines of concern perhaps?

Can anyone answer my query re the percentage of children in this 'danger' group of being so allergic they cannot have vaccines?

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The question remains - why (with vaccines) is this not achievable?

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

What is the actual risk in this case? With rates around 90-95% that indicates 1-2 kids in a class of 30 will not be vaccinated.

How does this affect the risk of those in the allergic group ?

6. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

I don't know actual numbers but i imagine the number of those that are severely allergic is very few. The bigger issue is those that can't be vaccinated due to other illness, such as those receiving treatment for cancer because their immune system is compromised.

Doglover likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Your question seems to have an implication that the current situation is one of choice rather than of what is currently possible. The answer will be that it is not currently possible. You sound either naïve or disingenuous.

In the similar manner to why don't doctors just cure cancer, the answer is highly technical and complex. You could research it as well as anyone can, I think it unlikely that anyone on this board will be expert enough to give an answer without doing so and that the answer will be difficult to understand. Of course all of this is what helps fuel the opinions of anti-vaxxers as they don't understand or more likely don't want to understand the answer and it is easier to ignore what is being said when it is complex and in-depth that cannot be delivered as a sound bite. Then again, here's an answer "It's too hard and can't be done".

8. FrankWolley

Why do you keep on asking this - it's simple deflection to avoid blame for clinging to a superstitious set of beliefs which actively damages the health of many, and can even cost lives. :eek:

And as well as Brexit, you oppose compulsory vaccinations... :mad:

9. FrankWolley

So pretty easy to get them vaccinated then...

10. FrankWolley

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I think the rights of the children should be higher than the rights of the parents., especially when it comes to protecting them against illnesses which can kill or leave them permanently disabled, not to mention protecting others who have no immunity against such illnesses through no fault of their own or their parents.

12. Mangleworzle

A similar proportion of children who die from measles will suffer permanent brain damage. It can also cause deafness and supress the immune system long after the infection has been fought off making those who have had measles more susceptible to many other infections.

FrankWolley likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

One reply - small pox.
    A killer.
    Now eradicated for ever.

https://ourworldindata.org/smallpox
    Before the introduction of a smallpox vaccine in 1796, on average 7.6% (1-in-13) of all deaths were caused by smallpox. Following introduction of the vaccine, we see a clear decline in smallpox deaths.
    In May 1980, the World Health Assembly, the governing body of the World Health Organization, officially certified the global elimination of smallpox, the first ever eradication of a disease in human history.

We were close to doing the same for polio, another killer, and hopefully will do so in the next 20 years.

We can do the same for measles, etc.
    Why wouldn't we?

border_walker and nomad like this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Our of interest, the cattle disease Rinderpest has been eradicated globally too.

We’ve also come extremely close to eradicating polio, with fewer than 500 new cases annually, largely in Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan.

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

This thread has reminded me of my time at primary school in the sixties.

I have memories of being lined up to get 'the injection' several times.
    I remember the sheer relief when the 'one for polio' turned out to be a sugar lump!

In those days, it was taken as read that you would have them. Probably because people knew others who had suffered the effects, or even died, because of these awful diseases. I remember having measles; well, if memories of not knowing where I was, and adults creeping around and speaking in hushed tones counts.

I tried to google that period to find out what these injections were for. I think diptheria, and whooping cough may have been two of them. (Oh, and the one for TB)
    I did find this: a timeline of vaccinations, and, imo, the historical and present day importance of them.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...nt_data/file/816174/Vaccine_Timeline_2019.pdf

chelsea2 likes this.
  16. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Absolutely, cissy3, the folk memory has forgotten the deaths , deafness and distressing illnesses caused by avoidable diseases like measles and mumps. I remember arguing with , and convincing, a parent to get her daughter vaccinated. It's an obvious point, but the internet has made us all believe we are all know best and we no longer defer to experts.
    I wouldn't make it compulsory by law as that would get people's backs up, I'd just link it to child benefit payments and make it a safeguarding issue in early child care and nursery schools, so no jabs, no child minder.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. Mangleworzle

Egocentric belligerence - so it seems.

18. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Senior commenter

Immune suppressed children eg those undergoing cancer treatment - er they would be made very ill by flu? Chest infection? Etc. Are they typically attending school?

19. Nellyfuf2

It is possible to see the statistics for diseases
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...and-rubella-in-england-and-wales-2012-to-2013
    Mumps is the problem. Most outbreaks are males in their late teens. This is how well mumps is dealt with by the vaccine. Vaccines are great. But the immunity they give is not as long lasting as true immunity. We had herd immunity to measles and mumps in the pre vaccine era. It has been lost. We now have vaccine immunity. This is why it is critical that everyone gets the jab. In an outbreak of a mutated measles outbreak a lot of people would be ill.
    Speaking as a measles and mumps survivor.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  20. Nellyfuf2

It would not let me edit - if there was a real outbreak of wild measles - it would be me that would have to nurse you. I have life long immunity. This is why the authorities freak out about measles. It's not about children recovering from cancer. It is about short lived vaccine immunity.