1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government considering compulsory vaccines

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Guest, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have just read the government is giving serious thought to compulsory vaccines for children attending school. What are your thoughts on this? Should the government have the right to vaccinate children?

emerald52 likes this.
  2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

If only they could develop a vaccine against parental stupidity.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Yes. It will protect the children individually and the population as a whole. The rights of the parents shouldn’t be higher than the rights of the children to a healthy life in my opinion.

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Nope. Not vaccinating your kid is bad but government compulsion is worse.

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Do you think the power of the government should be higher than the rights of the citizen?

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Mandatory vaccinations is a good idea, IMO. Pandering to the anti-vaccination movement, or attempting to reason with them, is a waste of time. They are beyond reason. Just try arguing at the school gate with one of them! One tried to convince me that turmeric in her unvaccinated child's (Vegan) diet protected him from measles. :rolleyes:

Six months ago a Unicef report found half a million UK children went unvaccinated over the past seven years.

World Health Organisation figures show global measles cases rose 300% in the first three months of 2019, compared to the same period last year. The UK also saw its highest number of cases for a decade in 2018.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes. Dumbass parents are putting the rest of the population at risk. The government should indeed step in.
    Actually making it happen is a long step away though. Your child can't come to school. OK. I'm afraid I can't go to work then.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I can't put my cat in the cattery unless I show that his vaccination book is up to date. Therefore,why is it different for children?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I have no anti-vaccine message but it just strikes me as hypocritical. As you rightly say catmother, you can’t put a cat in a cattery without a vaccine, yet you can euthanise a cat in pain but the government criminalise people for assisted suicide.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Try putting your kids into a cattery while you go away and see what Social Services have to say about it! :eek:

artboyusa, lilachardy, blazer and 7 others like this.
  11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

FB_IMG_1569785060751.jpg

I saw this on Facebook shared by a friend who is a nurse.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

You can have your cat castrated but......

artboyusa, primarycat and nomad like this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would easily move into said cattery myself. You could eat your dinner off the floor!

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If the vet removes both then it is a diabolical thing to do!

If just the one then it is only monobolical.

:D

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Yes. Totally agree.

nomad likes this.
  17. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Absolutely agree with this idea: no immunisation = no state school place.

We shouldn’t be denying the small but significant group of vulnerable children who are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons from accessing education because of the presence of unvaccinated classmates. Herd immunity is a key protection for many poorly children.

I wonder why the anti-vaccination parents would allow their children to undergo emergency surgical procedures, or take antibiotics or pain relief medication, use asthma inhalers if needed, or even drink clean tap water and use sanitation, yet not take them to be protected from serious illness by vaccination. It seems very odd to seize upon one aspect of modern disease prevention to object against, but not any of the others. Sometimes I even wonder whether this is natural selection against the ignorant, and should be left unchallenged for the benefit of all humanity, but then I remember the herd immunity problem.

18. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

So what would be the Social services beef? Putting your kids in the cattery or doing it without vaccination or forging the certificate?

I think it is a good idea (compulsory vax) but it would probably increase resistance no end. I can just see the Facebook pages now.

Don't send your kids to school to be turned into zombies.

19. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

small but significant group of vulnerable children who are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons......
    Jab 'em.
    No amnesty.
    All jabbed.

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wonder how many parents who won't have their children vaccinated were vaccinated themselves as children? The vast majority, I am sure. They were protected from a range of infectious diseases - why are they denying their children the same protection?

Perhaps Social Services could get involved on the grounds of negligence?

smoothnewt and hplovegame48 like this.