1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Government announces 25% increase in trainee teachers for September

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

Why increase numbers when there isnt a shortage?

:rolleyes:

3. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Memo to MPs - say these lines and only these lines.

"The Conservatives are spending more on education than ever before. The Conservatives are training more teachers than ever before."

If questioned on the details, glaze over and keep repeating those lines. Under no circumstances should you deviate from our the facts

tosh740, peggylu, palmtree100 and 3 others like this.
  4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

Strictly it is an increase in the recruitment of a trainee teachers. Most centres have said that this too late for this year having spent their budgets and not able to put in additional infrastructure. So outcome will probably not be borne out in fact i.e. no more recruitment but this will not stop the conservatives adding this to their mantra of educational slogans - we are recruiting more teachers this year than ever before (quote).

Mrsmumbles and install like this.
  5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Are they going to feed them more? ;)

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Senior commenter

Yes, it is too late. You can't magically make more people apply late in the cycle. Still lots of regional variations as well. This means they put lots of places in areas which don't struggle for recruitment and few places in areas which do. If you reduce the numbers of local places in areas with lots of teachers you force the trainee teachers to move across the country to train - where they put down roots, meet friends and future spouses and find schools which they would never have applied for. This is what used to happen.

Then Gove became SoS.

Mrsmumbles and wanet like this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I see many trainee teachers. I don't think we are short on trainee teachers, are we?

What we are short on is trainees who are not crying, panicking, off with stress, failing or passing with faked results.

How does that fit in to the Tory slogans and statistics?

"We are breaking and faking more trainee teachers than ever before"

9. schoolsout4summer

In every news article I read in the Guardian, half way down the page will be an advert, encouraging people to train to be teachers. In contrast, I didn't spot adverts for any other jobs - none at all, not even one!
    Might this suggest recruitment (and retention) issues?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've had no PGCE students this year in our school - not one.

We were trying to get one for first term next year in our department from our usual provider - we probably will not.

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Our local primary school now has a banner outside, among many others, proclaiming 'train as a teacher at this school'. I assume that there is government money behind this, so it is a 'nice, little earner'.

Mrsmumbles and peggylu like this.
  12. les25paul

les25paul Lead commenter

The Government should be thinking more along the lines of keeping trained teachers in the system rather then attracting more trainees who will only leave after a few years.

13. schoolsout4summer

I have seen these too!

peggylu likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes, we have also got these locally

peggylu likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It doesn't really matter if it'll make no difference... the government has now been seen to do something and that will be sufficient...

Sadly.

16. nervousned

nervousned Occasional commenter

That reminds me when Ofsted criticised our GCSE Maths resit results (even though they were above average). The bosses decided to put on an extra lesson a week for each class. I said it would make no difference. We needed to do more to ensure they attended the lessons they already had and they weren't likely to attend the extra lesson. I was given the we have to be seen to do something line.

In the end I underestimated the students. They tended to attend the extra lesson (trapped time) and skipped a different lesson in the week that was more convenient to them (lessons at the start or end of the day).

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Lead commenter

18. Mrsmumbles

Tory edu commandments

1 "Napoleon is always right."
    2 "Comrade Gove was a loyal worker."
    3 "The grass is always Greening."
    4 "All headteachers are equal. But some MAT bosses are more equal than others."
    5 "No headteacher will kill another teacher....without cause
    6 No teacher shall object to reasonable or unreasonable workload demands
    7 No headteacher shall go on freebie scammed trips to New York and sleep in a bed with designer sheets, scam the taxpayer or do Tory photo shoots for the press...without cause

19. Mrsmumbles

20. Mrsmumbles

Up to us to put em right then. I'll call ITV now.....