1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove seeks to relax controls on overseas teachers

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by gailrobinson, May 31, 2011.

1. It's potentially good news for overseas trained teachers. The Government is to make it easier for schools to employ teachers from overseas, under plans announced this week.
    Education secretary Michael Gove told the House of Commons that he intends to relax current regulations that force teachers from outside the European Union to undertake further training before they are allowed into the classroom.
    According to the Department for Education, research on international qualifications shows that countries such as the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have teacher training systems that are equivalent to the UK.
    Read the full story from this week's TES - Gove seeks to relax controls on overseas teachers

2. Hi Gail,
    Do you know if this plan is going ahead? I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone on this subject. Was hoping you might know.

3. Thanks for the advice Hollyleaf, unfortunately no-one seems to know what the hell is going on and everyone just keeps giving me conflicting information. I am getting very FRUSTRATED...aaaaaah

4. Sorry, that's all that I know. I talked to my head teacher and asked, 'When this plan does go through, will you hire me in a full teaching capacity ?' (meaning ££s as I am already being used as a teacher) and he said that he would.
    But I have been lied to a couple of other times and considering the upheavals in education, I have to wonder.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The delay is due to the fact that Mr Gove needs to follow the due Parliamentary process for changing legislation. Even if he wants this to happen tomorrow then there are legislative changes to QTS that need to be made. There is also the recommendations of the Wolf report about post compulsory teachers awaiting implementation.As there are going to be new Teacher Standards in place from next September then my bet is that is the timescale that will eventually happen.

6. Latest news on OTT re QTS from Canada, USA, New Zealand and Australia.

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=conSection&consultationId=1778&dId=1131&sId=7295&numbering=0&itemNumber=1&menu=1

7. As an OTT (British Citizenship) and having just gained my QTS, I am relieved that I have now some sense of security. Then, I hear the Government are relaxing these restrictions for OTTs! For four years I have been carrying a weight on my shoulders being an NQT. I recently found a school that was willing to help me during a long-term supply tenure, with two months to spare!!
    I fully understand how, in the future, an NQT will feel hard done by when they've invested large amounts of debt and time, to then see someone from overseas taking a position.
    Somehow, I don't think that other EEC countries are going to like this Government policy. The EEC seems to be very suspicious of our relationships with any Commonwealth countries (and the USA).

8. ' I fully understand how, in the future, an NQT will feel hard done by when
    they've invested large amounts of debt and time, to then see someone
    from overseas taking a position.'
    Nifty, this has been happening for a long long time, the difference being that now the OTT will be able to communicate in English. It will also bring fresh air and new ideas into a system that is desperate for them. I can assure you that there will not be any rush to come to the UK to work from these places - they still have to meet immigration's heinous policies!
    I cannot imagine very many sane American/Canadian/Australian teachers coming here and staying long term in a British school as they now exist. Relax. Your problem is the number of Cover Supervisors and TAs who are currently 'teaching' lessons.

9. Hi Hollyleaf,
    As usual you are the one in the know. What is the latest on the possible changes for OTTs regarding QTS? I couldn't get anything from the link you gave (assuming it was a link)
    Any info would be much appreciated [​IMG]

10. Thanks for this!! Very helpful. Does anyone have any idea what this means for teachers in the middle of OTT?? I am in the process and am trying to figure out how this might affect me.
    I have duel citizenship for Canada and the UK.

11. Hi Carlyce,
    I guess no one knows about this... I expect that when (if) it goes through, doing your OTT will have been a waste of time. If some wrench hits the works then you will be ahead of the game!
    I would like to hear from US or Canadian teachers who have gone through the process to find out if it added to their teaching skills.

12. Hello everyone,
    My name is James
    <font size="2">I am a former band director from the United States. I gave up looking
    for a classroom job as a music teacher in the</font> and have been working as a peri-music Instructor for the last four years. I started a flexible pgce course with the Open University. Great materials if you never
    taught but I have 8 years experience in the states plus a little I got teaching
    as a supply with an agency from time to time. I think that what I have done so
    far and looking ahead it seems to be very similar to the materials I had as a
    student in university without all of the evidence gathering. I was being taught
    to teach and subject matter, not proving to some outside source I know what I'm
    doing and writing out every step and thought I am going through. I feel like I
    am taking time away from preparing for teaching students in order to fill out
    and write about any little thought and gathering evidence. I feel like I have
    done this 15 years ago and maybe it's just my patience (age) hahahaha.. Getting
    back to the question. I think that most US trained teachers can easily adapt to
    the British system with a two or three day transition workshop. I don't foresee
    a major change in my teaching style. The music curriculum in England is
    different than in the states but in reality my US training prepared me more for
    classroom music like the U.K. than it prepared me being a band director in the
    states.

Keeping my fingers crossed,
    Goodluck Everyone.

13. Has it added to your skills as a teacher? Where and when did you train in the USA and in what subect? Can you compare the two training systems?

14. I'm currently on the Overseas Trained Teacher Programme due to complete in May-ish time (around the time a decision will be made!) The whole course is a real ball ache full of repetition and jumping through hoop nonsense in order to tick boxes. The laughable part is they only want to observe me for half a day!

15. Thanks, I hope that others post.

16. It's difficult to compare as there are a few different ways to become a teacher in England. Generally it looks like British trained teachers get more classroom time during their training, however, having only 8 weeks of placement in Ontario, I do not feel I was underprepared. I came to England to teach just 8 weeks after finishing my training, and adapted with few problems.
    I jumped through less hoops training in Ontario and have jumped through more than I thought humanly possible while doing the OTT. Also, speaking to people at work, it sounds like training here is a practice in detailed paperwork rather than Teaching and Learning.
    It seems like they are trying to deter people from being teachers rather encourage it!
    Oh well!Until things change, I'll just keep plugging away at the Maths Skills test until my head explodes!

17. Thanks.

18. Perhaps the crack staff at TES could look into this and update us. <u>The article did appear in the magazine</u>. I have tried to find information from the government education site with no luck.

19. At the Department for Education

If you wish to contact Michael at the Department for Education, please email him at: ministers@education.gsi.gov.uk
    Or for education-related queries, please call the Department on 0370 000 2288. If you would like to contact him in his capacity as the Secretary of State, please call 020 7925 5065.

For all other enquries

write:
    Rt Hon Michael Gove MP
    House of Commons
    London
    SW1A 0AA
    tel: 020 7219 3000
    email: michael.gove.mp@parliament.uk

Or at the Constituency office
    tel: 01276 472468
    email: office@shca.org.uk