1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove pledges £1bn to schools in leadership race

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/gove-pledges-ps1bn-increase-schools-budget

Michael Gove will today pledge a £1 billion increase to the schools' budget, in an effort to redeem himself among teachers.

The former education secretary and Conservative leadership candidate will say that he will restore the amount of money spent per pupil to 2015 levels.

Flying pig alert! Despite Teresa May's assertion that there is no magic money tree, it seems the Govester knows better and a quick shake will soon deliver £1bn for schools.

The DFE has for many months, if not years, boasted that education spending is at record levels but Gove's plan to restore spending per pupil to 2015 levels simply confirms that education spending per pupil has been cut year after year so the cat's now officially out of the bag. It would be more to his credit if he restored spending back to 2010 levels when the Tory/LIb Dems coalition came to power and of which government Gove was the Education Secretary.

If (God forbid) Gove ever does make it to No 10 and if any extra cash does find its way into schools, I doubt there will be an overall uplift in school budgets rather the cash will be channelled into the Tory pet projects like MATs, Grammar schools and the like.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Back to 2015 levels as that's when (2014) he stopped being SoS for Education so he can deny all responsibility for what's happened since then. Although he's been a Cabinet Minister since then so he can't really get away with pretending the cuts are nothing to do with him. Hasn't he heard of collective cabinet responsibility?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Surely Gove isn't hoping to get the teachers' vote.

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

The only way Gove could redeem himself among teachers is by self immolation. Even then,I would retain my urine for better purposes than extinguishing the flames.

Even I'M impressed with how elegantly I phrased that... lets see if it gets through the filtering system..

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Decisions, decisions …
    [​IMG]
    What would you do?

Sally006 likes this.
  6. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

He may well say he wants to put that much in. He may even want to put that much in.
    I bet there will be plenty of "good reasons" why he has no hope of putting that much money into education as a bonus.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

How many of the geriatrics that compromise the Tory party membership are ex-teachers? He'd do better to bribe them with a promise of higher pensions.

Most likely it's like Bush - Compassionate Conservatism, Cameron - Big Society and Theresa May - Helping those who are "Just about managing".

Nice soundbites to convince the floating voter that they can actually vote for a malignant capitalist who'll stuff education, NHS, social care in the pursuit of keeping the wealthy happy without too much of a strain on their conscience.

1 person likes this.
  9. drek

drek Lead commenter

Strain their conscience? More likely anyone who can provide media evidence of the ‘stuffing’ in a ‘big brotherly’ way gets awarded a Lordship.

10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Back stabbing bar steward need I say more.

11. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  12. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Of course, they could just shake down the MATS until the 2 billion they have in their rainy days funds falls out...

bessiesmith likes this.
  13. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

And get rid of all the CEOs and Executive Heads and various other expensive, leadership-heavy management structures. Maybe just get rid of MATs altogether?

I think I'm saturated with politics now. There doesn't ever seem to be any good news.

bessiesmith and (deleted member) like this.