1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove has instituted a discriminating act within discrimination with the new QTS laws.

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by guybenedictmulvaney, Feb 27, 2012.

1. guybenedictmulvaney

guybenedictmulvaney New commenter

Gove has rejected and insulted the invaluable contributions made by South African and West Indian teachers over the last couple of decades. He has added insult to injury by accepting American teachers ahead of us.Go into the zillions of tough inner-city schools in London,totally run,by American teachers, no I don't think so! Full of South Africans and West Indians,Aussies, Kiwis and a couple of Canadians.Is it because teachers from the abovementioned countries are white Michael Gove???

2. guybenedictmulvaney

guybenedictmulvaney New commenter

Gove has rejected and insulted the invaluable contributions made by South African and West Indian teachers over the last couple of decades. He has added insult to injury by accepting American teachers ahead of us.Go into the zillions of tough inner-city schools in London,totally run,by American teachers, no I don't think so! Full of South Africans and West Indians,Aussies, Kiwis and a couple of Canadians.Is it because teachers from the abovementioned countries are white Michael Gove???

3. I realize that there is a lot of exaggeration in this post but I do agree that there is a lot of discrimination in teaching at the moment.
    But who suffers the most from such discrimination? It is the tens of thousands of unemployed British teachers and even more so all those British supply teachers.
    Who gets preferred over the supply teachers? - Unqualified teachers and that includes OTTs, support staff such as TAs. HLTAs and CSs

4. I agree that OTTs may have teaching qualifications but there is a legal definition of unqualified teachers and that does include OTTs. Up to now OTTs are classified as unqualified teachers until they can get a formal QTS recognised in this country and they have 4 years to do that.
    However Michael Gove has proposed changes to that rule which I think will take effect rom next September.

5. I've read and reread this, and I can't make out what yu are trying to say. Are you implying that there are a lot of white teachers in inner London schools?
    And there shouldn't be?