1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove guarantees our safety - I feel so reassured...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by SEBREGIS, May 20, 2020.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

This is textbook

Gove - some of the best leaders in education say its absolutely safe
    Ander Marr: the BMA says its not safe and the R rate needs to be much lower. Can you guarantee its safe?
    Gove - yes.

Gove: when the right measures are in place... the clear advice is that it will be absolutely safe, accompanies by social distancing

Gove: Children only have one chance at education. If you really care about children you'll want them to be in school...

So there we go guys - its 100% safe for everyone, Gove guarantees our safety. I feel safer already...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52697488

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Phew! What a relief.

Love the clip.

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Its a favourite movie - so many great lines in it. But this is the other classic and I feel a bit suitable for our times:

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Typical Gove. That's like saying it's completely safe to jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute, as long as you can go back to get your parachute!

What a .... no, I can't even be bothered.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  5. moscowbore

Gove is usually painfully careful about how he answers questions. His wording is carefully phrased so that he never actually makes a statement, never gives a straight answer and never makes any form of commitment. In this ability he has only ever been matched by Tony Blair who was on telly recently saying nothing.

You can bet your bottom pension contribution that Gove will blame the science, the scientists and the phase of the moon when, God forbid, the first teacher dies in the line from covid19.

His polite refusal to answer questions always makes me wonder if an interviewer will ever ask him why he agreed to an interview if he is not going to say anything. He would not know an actual conviction or belief if it bit him on the ankle.

Dont know what brought that on.

maggie m and Catgirl1964 like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@moscowbore Does anyone remember when John Nott walked of an interview, with Robin Day? I have a fantasy of the reverse happening, where the interviewer walks out on the politician, saying, "There is no point in continuing this."

Lidnod, slugtrial and maggie m like this.
  7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

And to complete the picture, Rebecca Wrong Daily was equally vague on C4 News.

8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Perhaps Gove would agree being interviewed by Piers Morgan. It would be amusing to watch Gove try to wriggle and squirm his way through Piers very direct questioning technique.

9. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

I do wish the interviewers would be a little more "rottweiler" when questioning ministers, particularly in the afternoon briefing.
    They ask a question; the minister trots out some rehearsed statement which includes one of the words in the question; then we move on.

charlottemar likes this.
  10. moscowbore

Nah! Andrew Neil is the best interviewer on tv.
    Andrew Marr is the worst.

11. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

Excellent!

My vote for Post of the Month.

Lidnod and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  12. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Q: So, are our children safe at your daycare centre, King Herod?
    A: Yes.

Piscean1 likes this.
  13. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

Public transport was busier than anticipated on June 1st.
    [​IMG]

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Nice to know he's better qualified than teachers and doctors-and I hope he's going to appear in every school to explain social distancing to four year olds.

Happyregardless likes this.