1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove banishes creationist groups from free schools

Discussion in 'Science' started by ilovescience!, May 25, 2011.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

It is a shame that creationism is sometimes linked with the intelligent design hypothesis.

Be that as it may, far more importantly I think we should be promoting a questioning disposition with all of our science teachings. Surely that is what science is all about?

It is encouraging that some states in the USA are moving in this direction. The latest one is Louisiana:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2011/05/science_law_and_economics_come046871.html

2. Intelligent Design is initmately linked with creationism as it was devised as a means of injecting a religious worldview into science in schools in the USA.

We do encourage a questioning disposition in our science lessons and that includes evolution where scientist still are looking at and developing ideas about the mechanism of evolution. We don't question the fact of evolution because there is so much evidence in favour of it, just like we don't question the fact of gravity, but we do question fine detail such as what is the cause of mass, and mass of course is the reason for gravity.

Have a look at my post on the article about banning creationism . It is about post number 100 and in it you will see why intelligent design creationism was proposed and what the true intent is. Nothing to do with getting children thinking or questioning, but getting then to accept God as the ultimate and only creator.

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6082592

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

James is right, the ultimate goal of the ID/Creationism lot is to get everyone beleiving in the christian god, and ultimately their version of christianity. I don't know about you but I don't want to see our country go down a route thatends up with us being a fundamentalist nation. Besides, if your suggesting that we allow creationism in to promote question would you be happy to stop there? Why not throw in some geocentrism, flat earth, astrology and alchemyin science and possibly get maths onto numberology too.

A good science teacher will always encourage enquiry and questioning, as James has said you can do it directly with science by highlighting the areas we're still working on and the role of scientific research. You can also feed it in by getting the kids to think about areas of science that we do have answers for but arn't really covered in the science curriculum in a great any depth.

As a side note I was one of the people to sign the crisis petition.

4. There's a good reason for this.
    Sourced from evidence presented at the Dover trial

Still want to try and claim Creationism isn't linked with ID?

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I missed thatfirst time round. ID only came about when creationists were banned from getting creationism into schools.

6. I hearby propose we now refer to them as cdesign
    proponentsists.

7. Just type Robin Ince creationism into google- Play it to any class and they will get it.

8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I prefer IDiots myself ;)

9. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hehehe I've seen this before, it's good :) I also got to see Mr Ince recently as part of the Uncaged Monkies tour.