1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gove and Dominic Cummings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Sep 5, 2019.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm sure most here know that Dominic Cummings is effectively Bojo's chief of staff to use an Americanism and many commentators think he is the author of Bojo's scheming (whatever it is) in trying to run his government and out-manoeuvre the rest of parliament. He was instrumental in the Brexit referendum campaign and apparently came up with the totally misleading but effective phrase "Take back control". -- As if!

Although drama documentaries should be viewed with caution it is worth watching the TV program "Brexit: The Uncivil War" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit:_The_Uncivil_War if it is available on catch up or whatever.

I was not aware of it but it wasn't a surprise to learn that Cummings worked with Gove in Education and was instrumental in thinking up his aggressive and harmful policies against teachers and education in general.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/03/gove-cummings-dark-arts-education-trash-country
    [​IMG]

In the Guardian article on Tues. 3 Sept., Fiona Millar wrote
    "Gove and Cummings honed their dark arts in education. Now they’re using them to trash the country" ---

--- "Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings’ time in education came to an abrupt end amid fears the government was becoming toxic to teachers." --

Cummings appears to be quite a bully with very right wing views and a nasty piece of work behind the scenes.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

mathsmutt, grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

IDS is thicker than Hadrian's wall.

grumpydogwoman, MAGAorMIGA and TCSC47 like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

6. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

AKA Demonic Cummings and Michael Glove-Puppet

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder how much head scratching it takes, how much eye strain it takes searching through arcane parliamentary procedures to go from this
    [​IMG]
    To this in less than nine years
    [​IMG]

If only we still had effective social services, someone might have picked up on this poor man's plight and intervened before he became the most hated individual in he UK and we find ourselves either lamenting or celebrating his inevitable suicide, after he finally realises, that if he'd played his cards right, years ago, he might actually have been able to avoid dying a virgin.

It's all very sad, even before you read the stories of him roaming around the corridors of Westminter as drunk as it's possible to be, yet able to keep hold of a wineglass whilst shouting abuse and simultaneously asking where the toilets and kebab shop are.

I find it fascinating to reflect that if Jacob Rees Mogg's gamekeeper reported that a fox was behaving similarly on his estate, he would immediately be on the phone to to his local hunt and have the villain torn to shreds by the hounds. Yet somehow is prepared not only to suffer tripping over this lush as he wallows in his puke, incapable of rising from it without aid, but to make his way into the commons to present a case prepared by this waste of a skin, then go on to attempt he might get some kudos by acting similarly on the HoC benches.

What on earth is going on?

The best advice I can offer voters in the next election Is to think about whether whoever you voted for last time might also be like like this; and if they could be, don't make that mistake twice.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Don't hold back - tell us what you really think! ;)

10. oldsomeman

I can tell you it wont be Labour or the Lib Dems..does that help? Both a bunch of wasters.

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Wasters compared to Bojob and his coterie? Do you actually ever watch the news or follow current affairs, Olds?

Larf you are having!

grumpydogwoman and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  12. oldsomeman

yeap I watch and listen.

13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well, of course I knew you did, but I couldn't let it go, Olds.

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Try talking us through your thought processes as you mull over the electoral alternatives available, please olds. I would be fascinated to learn how you come to these conclusions.

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. oldsomeman

No problem I just dislike Corbyn as a person and if you read this forum I have been consistent in this view for over 3 years. Whilst he is leader and Ronald Macdonald is speaking plans and Corbyn says little as if he isn't the leader it's not surprising I have NO appreciation of him.
    Lib dems..well what is to praise in their as I want us to leave the EU and have fot long before the Brexit vote.

16. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My less than impressive thought is that when I look at the list of threads, I am distracted by the proximity of this thread title and the one which reads "Do you feed your dog raw food?" ;)

cissy3, TCSC47 and smoothnewt like this.
  17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Gove and Cummings - I wonder what makes such people "tick"? Ambition? Power? Wealth? Revenge?

TCSC47 likes this.
  18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Boris for me, every time. Our glorious Prime Minister makes me feel proud to be British.

19. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I think they are two very different people.
    Cummings, as far as I can tell, is motivated by power.
    Gove has attempted some very brave changes in his career, some of which have gone down very badly with teachers, but I think his main motivation, coming from the background he has, is to make the world a better place.
    I suspect that both could earn far more in other jobs, so wealth isn't a factor at all.

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I too wonder what their motivation is.

Gove is estimated to be worth £3 million and to earn through his ministry jobs, and side lines in journalism and other things about £1 million a year https://www.celebworth.net/2018/11/how-much-money-does-michael-gove-make.html so I think that blows away any plans he may have to earn in our world.

As for thinking that he "wants to make the world a better place", --- if that is so, then never has the Road to Hell, been better paved!