1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got white family in South Africa?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Get them out before the rush:

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Bloody planters.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Where would they go? Are they refugees or economic migrants? *Not watched video yet.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Old MacDonald had a farm! :(

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I understand this type of thing worked really well in Zimbabwe...

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

asits dated 2013 is fone and passed....i did think ST Africa had moverd on form its own aparthied.

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Just watched the video. Oh dear a dilemma indeed.

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I do not know why that date appears on the bar. This story broke today.

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The story is most definitely current, whatever the video. (I see messages from a FB contact in SA and it's been a hot topic the past week)

JL48 likes this.
  10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I think the date refers to the library pics/video shots used in the story.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have a couple of old [white] South African school friends on FB and they seem concerned about this... as they should be considering how it went for Zimbabwe next door....

12. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Just import all of the SA public school teachers to the UK. They are paid peanuts in SA, and in my experience internationally, they are great.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My recently-departed MiL had a succession of live in carers over the past 18 months - all from S Africa. My SiL found them through an agency. They were very good, each staying 4 - 6 weeks and returning on a rotation. They'd go home at intervals, but were mostly working over here.

Speaking to one of them, my SiL learned that for a white woman in their fifties, finding work in S.A is impossible, so they have to take what opportunities abroad are available to them.

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

Come back Jacob Zuma, all is forgiven. This is where History is a really dangerous subject. People several generations back acted unjustly and stole land. Now it seems their descendants must be despoiled of that land by the descendants of those it was stolen from. Surely there must be a reasonable compromise by way of compensation to avoid injustice piling upon injustice piling upon injustice in a never-ending cycle?

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Are the Zulu, Xhosa & other African tribes all actually the original occupants of SA? Or, like the Dutch and British, are they actually immigrants?

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Burndenpark, JL48 and FrankWolley like this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

18. oldsomeman

Years agao we used to have lots of them working in Primary schools in London. I was always impressed by their productivity and drinking skills, They didnt take any bull from anyone!
    Even today if you see a man in shorts in snow I always consider them SA as thats what they seemed to do..wear shorts .even in the winter!

Stiltskin and JL48 like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

20. oldsomeman

This i have learnt fom my SA friends..even for men it is hard. In some areas there was concern that reverse Aparthied was happening withwhite SA being told to go to the back of queues bacause they are white,However i can not say if this is corrrect.
    At the moment SA is struggling and so i suppose nationlistic forces arrive offering an Africian vision with all the rhetoric of of a nation consisting only of certain groups. This was the problem of other states doing this....dropping back into sayings like 'africia for the Africians( which seems reasonable as it is thier land) but destroying in the process the means of that nation to support themselves by destroying the major agricultural industryies in favour of small self managed areas ,which failed to live up to any potential.
    Many, many years ago before Aaparthied was over come in Afric and colonnialism was fought I thought the nations might revert back to tribal groups and ruled by by their chiefs. This seems to have happened, but not always with good results as the leaders seem at times to fill their own pockets and not care for their 'tribe'. I hope that changes as its huge land with lovely folk and much to offer.