1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

got to make my mind up after 6 months off with stress what to say to Occupational health tomorrow can u help?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sockknittingtubes, Jun 15, 2015.

1. sockknittingtubes

sockknittingtubes New commenter

At last I feel so much better and ready- to make my mind upIn december I could cope no more withthe workplace undermining by T As and their refusal to help me with my art teaching by continaully telling me and the pupils that they were no good at art. the pupils regarded them as their 'mates and supporters. Management also failinf to help put things right.The TAs refused to help with display, would rather go and do something else away from the class than stay and be in class to persuade the pupils in the PRU to work and show enthusiasm to work . I had to have lesson observations and the TA made sure she was not arround to help, . I was subjected to bullying and unpleasant work place atmosphere.

I am going to have to telll OH whatI want to do next, I could return- I think this is not an option unless the place has changed radically, or I ask to exit the job- financially what can I expect? I am near retirement age so lucky in that sense( I also think this is a large reason why I had such trouble as well as being the art teacher) I enjoyed the challenge of this job for the last 3+ years and it is sadness that I accept I must go but how?what can I expect?what next? I was new to the area and was made to feel all the time I was the 'posh' incomer

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Are you over 55? Take actuarially-adjusted pension. Better have a bit less pension now than succumb to a breakdown for the sake of a few quid a month once you're 60.

It's a PRU? Shove it.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Take some Union advice. You might be able to retire early on the grounds of ill health, I was advised that this was a more financially remunerative option for me but I just wanted to get away from it all as quickly as possible.

4. grumpydogwoman

An ex-colleague had MND and didn't get enhanced early retirement.

They'll fight you every step of the way on that and are you up for a fight?

Walk away if you're over 55.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Talk to your union.

in some areas you can get an internal transfer. Probably not though. Explore the options -especially retirement. You're worth it. You've had a rough ride and it takes a long long time to get over bullying and abuse.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I tried to get early retirement on the grounds of ill health but it was refused! I was teaching Food in PRU with no TA, hurt my back further, was unable to stand for more than 2 mins, couldn't bend or lift, but apparently I was still fit to teach!!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm with gdw on this. The chances of ill health retirement are non existant with the info you've given us here, so just go if you're over 55. Turn the page.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I agree also. Take the actuarially-reduced pension. It's years before you go actually lose money on this, because you get paid your pension for the extra years.

Moreover, the best you can probably expect as a pay-off for resigning is a term's pay. But that is, as I said, the BEST and ny no means guaranteed.

9. grumpydogwoman

Middlemarch!!! Hurrah! Where've you BEEEEEEN!

That's what I thought. Retired at 57. I get 3 years extra of pension. When I'm well. When I want it. So it's a few quid a month less than if I'd waited until 60.

Hah! I wanted out. My equilibrium is worth a lot more than £20 a month or whatever it was I lost out on.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Is that really how much it is GDW? My OH, not a teacher is 49 next and always planned to go at 55. He has a good pension, almost as good as a teachers, but is worrying about the effects of the reduced pension. He is in an incredibly stressful job which he hates. I am worried he will have a heart attack and has already had time off due to stress and bullying.

11. Middlemarch

Why, thank you kindly, GDW! I have been away on hols (with not a lot of internet connectivity) and am avoiding Opinion now.

I took my pension at 55, though (of course) as I was a head, my final salary was higher than many people's. But the awful stress, anxiety, etc just weren't worth it for me.

12. grumpydogwoman

mary, mary, do NOT take my completely made-up figures as illustrative. I have no idea! Please, please, PLEASE, do your own research. For me it was worth it to get out. The money wasn't an object as my OH is 14 years younger and has a good job. DON'T take any notice of my figures.

Must've been long hols, Mm! ;o)

Glad you're back. Had started to worry.

13. Middlemarch

I've been posting on the 'professional' forums (Jobseekers, etc), since I got back from holiday, GDW!

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I expect you are right about ill health retirement although a colleague at my old school got this as they wanted to get rid of him. I couldn't have coped with the stress and didn't start to feel anything like better until I actually retired. I would also recommend walking away.

15. grumpydogwoman

For them to want rid of you and be prepared to allow you ill-health grounds then you have to work super-hard to be the most cantankerous, awkward, devious, obstreperous pain in the bum you can imagine. That's basically another job in itself.

16. Middlemarch

The award of ill-health early retirement isn't generally down to the school (see link below), so making yourself unpopular might just be a faster way to dismissal.

It's rarely given at all these days - usually only to people incapable of ever working again.

http://www.bsenut.org.uk/Illhealth.htm

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I suspect rules are applied creatively when a school is becoming an enforced academy.

18. Middlemarch

It's still a decision made by the Teachers' Pension people, not the school.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You're right, of course. The colleague I am thinking of did not retire but did have some kind of payment at the end of a year off sick - 2 months salary I think - I'm a bit hazy on the details. In my own case I was approaching 60, I was advised I could do the same thing re extended sick leave and then retire instead of going as soon as I was 60. I was confusing the two things,- my excuse being that I was in a bit of a state at the time.

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I took my pension at 55. Yes, I lost out on a certain amount every month but I'm getting 5 years EXTRA money and I'll only start to run at a loss at the age of 75, if I get that far! And it's been index linked for the past five years.