1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

got the worlds most innocuous police caution: Supply teaching!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thechameleon, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hi I haven't been supply teaching for 6 months and am going back into it.
    HOWEVER, I need to have a new CRB done, agency are payiing for it.
    About 2 months I went to a Premier League football stadium. I had 4 unopened lage cans in a bag, I told the steward on entry of this and he said he would check if I was ok to come in.
    Well the chief steward was a complete ***, pardon my language, but he was. He came over radioed the police and I was cuffed and locked up in the cells!
    Well, I accepted the caution at the police station 4 hours later. Since realised I shouldn't have and CPS would likely have dropped case. TOO LATE NOW! :-(
    Anyway, when this CRB comes back it's gonna have record of me getting a caution for "POSSESSION OF ALCOHOL WHEN ENTERING A SPORTS GROUND" what do you think the agency are going to say, seeing as I'll have to carry my CRB with me and show to schools?
    Gutted, it really is a pisstake, especially as you can BUY LAGER IN THE STADIUM.
    Also m I right in thinking speeding fines etc wouldn't appear on a CRB? So you can spped and risk people's lives and no record is made but have 4 cans of unopened lager in a leather holdall and be tarred for life? What do you think will happen? Surely, I can still teach with this?
    God I hate this profession, looking for office work 24/7 but until I can secure something I need to do supply teaching.
    Thanks for your input in advance.

2. Hi I haven't been supply teaching for 6 months and am going back into it.
    HOWEVER, I need to have a new CRB done, agency are payiing for it.
    About 2 months I went to a Premier League football stadium. I had 4 unopened lage cans in a bag, I told the steward on entry of this and he said he would check if I was ok to come in.
    Well the chief steward was a complete ***, pardon my language, but he was. He came over radioed the police and I was cuffed and locked up in the cells!
    Well, I accepted the caution at the police station 4 hours later. Since realised I shouldn't have and CPS would likely have dropped case. TOO LATE NOW! :-(
    Anyway, when this CRB comes back it's gonna have record of me getting a caution for "POSSESSION OF ALCOHOL WHEN ENTERING A SPORTS GROUND" what do you think the agency are going to say, seeing as I'll have to carry my CRB with me and show to schools?
    Gutted, it really is a pisstake, especially as you can BUY LAGER IN THE STADIUM.
    Also m I right in thinking speeding fines etc wouldn't appear on a CRB? So you can spped and risk people's lives and no record is made but have 4 cans of unopened lager in a leather holdall and be tarred for life? What do you think will happen? Surely, I can still teach with this?
    God I hate this profession, looking for office work 24/7 but until I can secure something I need to do supply teaching.
    Thanks for your input in advance.

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

When you registered with your agency you will have filled a form in about any previous convictions or cautions...did you disclose it on there? If I was you I would be totally honest with the agency upfront... as it is going to appear anyway. I don't think that this will have much bearing as it isn't really anything that bad in my opinion.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

My step brother volunteers in a primary school and his CRB says something like "Police caution for possession of a Class C drug - cannabis". Hasn't stopped him. He is only volunteering not teaching tho so may be different.
    My understanding is that the CRB is to check that you do not have a history of harming children. As far as I can see, neither possession of a class c drug (or class a really!) or possession of alcohol are something which is going to mean you are a risk with children. If I was a head teacher, it wouldn't bother me. But I don't know what the official line is - and I suppose with supply you have to deal with a lot of different people which makes it worse.
    Here's a thought though. I never received my CRB for my PGCE year - the uni got their part but mine never arrived. So for each placement when they wanted my CRB, the uni emailed explaining they'd seen my CRB and I was fine. INTERESTINGLY, they said Oxfordshire CC had advised them that schools should NOT be asking to see your CRB, for data protection reasons. They should accept that if someone has been accepted to work for an agency or on to a PGCE course, they have had a satisfactory CRB back and trust the agency/uni. Trying to explain this to schools does make you look instantly suspicious....but in your case may be worth thinking about?

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I think that you will be OK in this case. The CRB check is to see if you are a danger to children or vunerable adults and drinking (or hoping to) beer at a football match would hardly put you in this category.
    I agree about your describtion of the Chief Steward, what was the point of you asking for advice if this was the result.

6. Thank you for the advice all. I am already registered with the agency and have worked with them previously, it's just that I haven't worked for them since July, hence why the are doing a CRB check.
    Pleasing to see you think it shouldn't matter.
    Though I suppose if you've got a job to fill and 2 available candidates are they going to choose me instead of a person without this on his CRB.

7. Does anybody know if the nature of the caution is stated on the CRB? I'd rather that it is as if it just says "cautioned in relation to section such and such of the blah blah blah act" people aren't going to know what it relates to.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'd see a solicitor to see if you can retrospectively challenge the caution.
    It can have more far reaching consequences than employment issues; you could be barred from getting a visa for certain countries, for instance.

9. I can barely afford to live on baked beans Jubilee so impossible to do that. Nothing really left for me in life anyway now, it's already been irrevocably destroyed by teaching. No other epmployer is willing to give me a job, seemingly think I will just retrun to teaching. Shattered to be hinest, been applying for jobs other than teaching for two and a half years now. Had 6 interviews but just get stabbed in the back in the end. After 5 min telephone chat for BT job they've decided in mot even worthy of getting past the first stage of recruitment for their new call centre.
    I know exactly where the tragic Gary Speed is coming from. Every sing le day is just relentless one way traffic bad news and despite trying everything under the sun things get no better. Spent 7 hours applying for a charity job tuesday teaching the homeless, i daresay it's already in the recycle bin.
    Sorry for the rant, just feel suicidal, went looking for chains in b&q last week after being turned down after interview for a 12k job. That's my last post. Appreciate the responses.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Please see your GP for help.
    Can you get Legal Aid to pay for a solicitor?

11. I did a quick trawl of the net on the issue of cautions. There is a degree of uncertainty of wether it will appear on a CRB. However most of the blurb I read referred to a CRB not an enhanced CRB. The ocassional thing I found is that on an enhanced CRB a caution will appear.
    However a fixed penalty notice for speeding does not. MY SP 3 (3 points) for speeding did not appear on my enhanced CRB.
    However with the agencies I think it is mindfield, very subjective on how things are interpreted. agencies tend to say things like 'we like a clean CRB'. which is very unfair in my opinion, as many people will have a caution for minor stuff from the past.
    It is all is getting out of hand anyway. If an agency takes you on it seems they have to say we are sending someone with Positive info on their CRB to the school, even if it is very minor and long in the past. So creating a chain of events. The discretion should be with the agency as educational recruiters and our actually employers, as to wether we are suitable for work in schools. As indeed if we applyed to a school, the school should ask us to declare any cautions, convictions, then if they so wish have a chat about things, IE they use their discretion.
    I also think schools photocopying supply CRB's very poor practice, as we have no certainty as to how secure these photocopies are kept. I am not worried so much about data protection, however I am worried about identity theft. A CRB has enough info on to apply for a credit card fraudulently. Passport numbers, previous addresses etc.
    Quality Mark seems to have failed in a blindingly obvious area, it has restricted fair recruitment practice. An agency saying we like clean CRB's, is not a sensible recruitment practice.
    Anyway in the present climate of paperwork and photocopies, best keep away from football grounds and nightclubs.
    IF you do get nicked for something then go down to the nick with the plods. When they offer the caution, then ask for the duty solicitor. You will then be locked up as they have to find one.The plods will be displeased and tell you of the draconian consequence of your actions.
    The duty solicitor will advise you of your options. It maybe to take the caution, however at least you know where you stand. Do not trust the plods, they will tell you anything so you take the caution, (the plods have their targets to meet). So you may have to get the head down in the cells for awhile. Think on the positive side as you hear the lowlife screeching away in the other cells, you can integrate your experience into your PSHE lessons.
    Well my CRB is pretty pretty, I have never been locked up. I used to work a bit in the environment

12. Yes I was locked up in the 2nd police staton, the one other than cell at the stadium, as I'd requested a solicitor.
    For about 4 hrs whilst they found one. Wish I hadn't bothered as he persuaded me to accept the caution. He was about 24 and not too pleased to be working at 8.30pm on a Sat when his peers were getting drunk, from what I could infer.
    Yeah the police reckoned I'd definitely be charged but I'm not so sure, due to the circumstances I'm sure I could have raised enough doubt in the CPS's mind as to whther they'd secure the conviction to consider it not worth soending public money on it. And they'd find it hard to justify being in the public's interest.
    Re advice regading seeking medical help. I thank you for your concern but don't see what help anybody could possibly given. I'ts not that I'm mad, just been obliterated by circumstance, bad luck and fate.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You sound clinically depressed, and it's not surprising given your situation. That means that seeking medical advice and care is appropriate even if it doesn't appear that way to you at the moment. Please make an appointment with your GP and perhaps print off that earlier post about having suicidal thoughts as it's sometimes easier to open up with a GP after showing them evidence of how low you get; you might be feeling a bit brighter when you actually get to see someone and that can prevent the full import of your situation being communicated.

14. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Of course you are not mad, but it doesn't mean you dont need help to cope with what life has dumped on you over the last few years.
    Trust me you'd be surprised how much a doctor could help you (depending on your doc, obviously!)
    The feelings you are having indicate quite clearly ( and understandably) that you are finding it hard to cope with the continuous sh*t that you have had to deal with. Being battered by this kind of thing drags you down to the point that you may need help to carry on.
    This is where medicine comes in. Believe me, six months ago I felt EXACTLY like you did, and couldnt understand how medicine could help, but it did - enormously.
    Its your choice, and I would never presume to tell anyone else what will or wont work for them, but I would simply urge you not to dismiss it without considering or trying first.
    After all, lets face it - it cant make your life much worse now can it?!

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Consider your disclosures on here a cry for help and please follow the advice offered. Otherwise you will make me very tearful and the only times I'm usually tearful are on the anniversary of my first daughter's stillbirth.