1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

got the job, butnot the one I interviewed for!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by grimandy, May 24, 2012.

1. I saw a job advertised in a school in special measures and went to have a look. The deadline was in three hours but the Head extended this for me until the next morning. The advertised post was for Senior Leadership Team / Literacy co-ordinator / class teacher.
    I used the person spec to complete the application providing evidence for each point and was shortlisted. When he rang me the Head said it may not be Literacy lead but if appointed they would negotiate an SLT role with me. He observed me teach which he thought was great, spoke to my current Head and Deputy and then we chatted for about an hour, after which he told me that he would not be interviewing me the following day but that he was going to "recommend me for the Literacy/SLT post".
    Yesterday I was interviewed by the school council who thought I was the best teacher they had interviewed. the assistant Head raved about how wonderful I was and lovely with the children. I was then interviewed by her, a Local Authority person and a Governor. The interview went well.
    The assistant Head phoned me last night to tell me how great they thought I would be in their school and to offer me a job - as class teacher. I asked for feedback on the interview and she told me that they had been looking for an expert to lead in phonics - I have only ever taught in KS2 and this was apparent from my application. Phonics was not mentioned on the person spec.
    I declined the job because I already have a lead in Mathematics in the school where I teach and was looking for more responsibility not less!
    I feel a bit miffed and would appreciate your thoughts
    Thanks for taking the time

2. I saw a job advertised in a school in special measures and went to have a look. The deadline was in three hours but the Head extended this for me until the next morning. The advertised post was for Senior Leadership Team / Literacy co-ordinator / class teacher.
    I used the person spec to complete the application providing evidence for each point and was shortlisted. When he rang me the Head said it may not be Literacy lead but if appointed they would negotiate an SLT role with me. He observed me teach which he thought was great, spoke to my current Head and Deputy and then we chatted for about an hour, after which he told me that he would not be interviewing me the following day but that he was going to "recommend me for the Literacy/SLT post".
    Yesterday I was interviewed by the school council who thought I was the best teacher they had interviewed. the assistant Head raved about how wonderful I was and lovely with the children. I was then interviewed by her, a Local Authority person and a Governor. The interview went well.
    The assistant Head phoned me last night to tell me how great they thought I would be in their school and to offer me a job - as class teacher. I asked for feedback on the interview and she told me that they had been looking for an expert to lead in phonics - I have only ever taught in KS2 and this was apparent from my application. Phonics was not mentioned on the person spec.
    I declined the job because I already have a lead in Mathematics in the school where I teach and was looking for more responsibility not less!
    I feel a bit miffed and would appreciate your thoughts
    Thanks for taking the time

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Perhaps this poor management is a reason why they are in special measures?