1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got my first supply job tomorrow! SO scared! Please give me tips!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lilybett, May 9, 2011.

1. Aww, thank you SO much. What a helpful post. Excellent idea to find a notebook - have noted down key school details and questions to ask.
    I like the positive ending to your post... I bet this time tomorrow I will be totally buzzing!
    And, no hint of sarcasm, I can't wait to do a bit of marking! [​IMG]
    I'm most worried about stupid things, like not knowing where to sit them in assembly. I suppose, really, the kids will just do that for themselves and I'll sit there with my fingers crossed assembly ends with a jolly sing-song...
    xxx

2. Or that I won't understand the plans...! Or that the lesson will be planned to be reliant on technology and I can't make the IWB work...!

3. Don't worry too much!! Just get yourself stuck in and you'll be fine, getting along with the kids, make them listen to you first of all. Everything should fit into place!!

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

A tip for encouraging good behaviour in Primary is to tell the children that after morning break you want to hear about something nice that they did for another pupil or something nice that was done for them or something nice that they witnessed. You will issue a raffle ticket to each person who can report something positive to you and if the person who did the nice thing is in the room, they get a ticket too. Allocate 10 minutes or so after break for feedback. When you feel it's time to start the set work, tell them that you'll listen to more stories after lunch. Give everyone a chance to participate at some point in the day. Since you don't know them, use a register or go from table to table.
    They should start doing nice things for each other in order to be able to tell you and to get a chance of the prize/s. Get a printed list of the class and tick everyone who was able to report back to you or who did something nice. Leave the list for their usual teacher and let the class know that Miss or Sir will hear about how wonderful and co-operative they have been that day.

5. Am a little concerned as the original post, mentioned only having a postcode for the job.
    All the singing and dancing tactics come after the golden rule of supply for me.
    Always double check and cross check the navigation.
    Good impressions are always made when you arrive at least on time . . . cool calm and collected.
    Even with satnav, I try to cross check an address and a postcode with a mapping system or school website to see if it makes sense.

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Agreed.
    I have an A-Z of my county but have also used a school's website to get the full address and double-check.
    I keep a notebook detailing the main points of the route and the time it took me to get there in rush hour (motorway junctions etc) and I can then estimate my arrival time when I get a late call and make sure that the school know that I can't possibly get there any sooner when I only get the call at 8.30 or 8.40. I don't waste time researching the route after the first booking.
    I also know which schools are near a train station as sometimes it might be better for me to drive to the station and let the train take the strain.

7. It's all good - found out where it is, reckon I'll be there 'cool, calm and collected' (not nervous, awkward and exciteable..) for 8.10. Love the idea of using raffle tickets for kindness. [​IMG] Going to watch Corrie in bed now thanks all xxx

8. darkness

darkness New commenter

How refreshing to read. Most of what you wrote are questions I asked a long while back here, with next to no response.

You will be fine, have them boy girl for assembly, you can't go wrong with that one. Don't try and do too much, simple is best.

Good luck.

Try and get yourself perhaps a supply book too. I bought 1 it was alright, mainly for the older groups and for where no work is left. oooh, actually, I found a great website.

Not sure if I am allowed to post it up here as it is another site. Real good ideas there, and already made resources. There are Main sites you can gander at too, but this one I found recently was rather nice, good layout and I thought pretty damn good for a supply teacher.

9. Wrighty1000

Wrighty1000 New commenter

10. Wrighty1000

Wrighty1000 New commenter

Obviously I meant a lot of permanent teachers use primary resources too so there is a small chance they might have used the same idea/worksheet. There is SO much stuff on it though.

11. darkness

darkness New commenter

This is the site. You don't have to pay to be a member, but being a paying member means you get resources in word etc which you can edit yourself. I registered for free and get the resources in PDF format for now. I loved the layout and variety of work, and the work and quality of stuff here is great

http://www.teachitprimary.co.uk/index.asp?home=1

12. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

well? how did you get on?