1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got fresh sardines, but what to do with them?.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm guessing they are already cleaned et.c? (Morrisons usually do this for you!)
    So, keep it simple.... grill them with <u>plenty</u> of black pepper and serve with hot buttered toast!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

As Bethannie says, or pan fry them in butter and olive oil then finish with chopped parsley anda good squeeze of lemon juice.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Throw them away and phone for a pizza. [​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Post them to Crowbob.

Or do as above.
    Just be aware, you've got to love sardines to pan fry them - you will be able to smell them in the house for days.
    So - cook them with the back door and all of the window open and the extractor fan on full, or do them on the barbecue!
    In fact, I think that the best way with sardines is on coals, so I'd do this anyway - you can still eat them inside!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm afraid I'm with Crowbob - I am really funny about fish and sardines are (to me) particularly foul: fresh mackerel comes a close second, but I like it smoked!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fresh - really fresh - sardines are one of the tastiest and most nutritious fish you can find. Cutting off the heads and gently pulling will bring out the innards. Put foil on the grill, brush the fish with oil and grill for a couple of minutes on each side. serve with slices of lemon and a well-dressed tomato salad.
    Barbecuing gets rid of scales but, if you're doing yours indoors, ask your fishmonger to gut and descale them. I like to barbecue them, even at this time of the year, since it's less smelly than cooking them in the kitchen.
    Sprats are cheaper and smaller than sardines and, in my opinnion, equally nice. Lemon juice and brown bread are the traditional accompaniments.

7. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I recently had grilled sardines, served on a slice of sour doughwith a tomato sauce and small salad. Absolutely delicious. I saw some reduced at the supermarket and tried to copy. The house stank for about 24 hours, despite precautions, and the fish were disappointing, I think because I had to gut them first and there was little flesh on them but so many bones. Probably why they were reduced.
    I forgot that I normally leave grilling oily fish until the warmer months when I can have all the windows open.
    Not sure I will bother with sardines again, but stick to mackerel which we love and wait until summer!

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Buying reduced sardines is always going to be a bad idea. Like mackerel, they need to be spankingly fresh; ideally eaten within a day or two of being caught.
    I won't buy mackerel or sardines from supermarkets, personally.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Me neither. Anything less than fresh will be, at the very least, disapppointing.
    It's a shame that there are so few good fishmongers left.

10. BelleDuJour

PMSL!
    Absolutely. The very best sardines in the world are to be found on any Portuguese fishing harbour, where they lay out tables and chairs for the public then throw the fish from the boat onto the bbq and sell to the happy diners. Mind you, you come away smelling of a sardine but it's worth it.

11. Absolutely agree, you can smell that gorgeous barbecue sardine smell everywhere in Portugal. I have a gas barbecue just on my patio and they cook fabulously on that it does save stinking the house out. I am not a fishy person but I love sardines.

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I agree that you have to cook sardines very, very simply. I like them with a kind of gremolata-type dish because I think it enhances the flavour brilliantly but you can't go far wrong if you just season them in a basic way and simply grill them.

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I love sardines, but what with it being a bit fiddly getting the meat off the bones, after you've eaten the first one, the rest are stone cold. And there's never enough of them to satisfy your hunger.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

If you have a garden or terrace, you can use it all the year round for barbecuing. Not a big BBQ party-type thing but just as another way of cooking food outdoors that you eat indoors. All you need is a simple, cheap barbecue and a supply of charcoal. We often bbq for two, using a small amount of coals that are all burnt out within fifteen-twenty minutes. You don't need gas and you don't need long-lasting briquettes if you're only cooking a few chops, steaks, fish or sausages for a family.
    I must admit that gas barbecues don't satisfy the inner pyromaniac in me. They don't smell right and they rob me of the chance of showing off my firelighting abilities.

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Depending on how the weather pans out this coming week, I might put a match to the barbecue myself. It's actually been quite pleasant for much of the day here in Kent. We've had the outdoors come indoors and although it's been a cause of many words throughout the bitterest days of winter between my beloved and I, as I don't do cold, we managed to get through this unseasonally warm February day without comment about the temperature.
    I think it's probably too early to cut the grass, even if there is a heatwave tomorrow. Wot me worry about a drought?

16. egyptgirl

Just be grateful that he has an inner Mrs Doubtfire!

17. BelleDuJour

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posters who know me in RL know I am speaking from experience when I say 'be careful what you wish for'! [​IMG]

18. egyptgirl

I'll take your word for it, Belle!

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

I couldn't possibly comment [​IMG]

20. BelleDuJour

[​IMG]