1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got an interview :)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gapolden, Feb 29, 2016.

1. gapolden

gapolden New commenter

I've got an interview at an independent school for PE post.

I get very nervous in interviews which has let me down in the past. I always do practice interview questions with my line manager & other half but don't know how to overcome my nerves on the day. Any tips?

Thanks

2. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

1) Deep breaths- anything you can do that you do with kids to regulate breathing?
    2) Know your stuff- reread your application/CV/exam spec/PM record/CPD record before you go in. In the past I've practiced writing out responses to practice questions, also google potential interview questions
    3) Don't try to dash about and do usual household type stuff that morning, get someone else to take the kids etc. and just make it about the interview
    4) Have you been round? If not, is there any time you could book to do this before the interview itself? Might make you less nervous if you've already been to the location
    5) Remember, they have selected you for an interview, and at some independents who have huge numbers of applications for each vacancy, that in itself is great, so remind yourself that you're awesome and go for it!

Don't forget to come on here and let us know how you got on- Good luck!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tips for not feeling nervous? Be so well prepared that you feel confident! And some lovely suggestions above from @englishteach101 . (Except for the one about a pre-interview visit. If they haven't suggested it, don't ask. Indy Schools don't often do pre-visits).

That's really good! Especially if they are good at giving the How-To-Be-Even-Better feedback.

So how do you get well prepared? For starters, you read all my interview advice articles on the JobSeekers. I have started a thread over there for you.

Just scroll down the forums list to find Jobseekers.

Best wishes

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just wishing you luck.
    [​IMG]for you.

5. gapolden

gapolden New commenter

Thanks guys.

Great advise @englishteach101, I'll be getting a tour of the school at some point during the day.

@TheoGriff i've been looking at all your advice & been doing my mind maps which I feel has definitely made me feel more confident.

Fingers crossed

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter