1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got an interview? What you can learn from THAT interview . . .

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 18, 2019.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you got an interview? Here´s my advice to you. And HRH #DukeofYork should have followed my advice too . . .

For those of you with better memories than his (Oh yes, I remember perfectly, 18 years ago on 10th May I was eating pizza), I used to give advice on these forums on applications and interviews. I rarely post on TES now, but that interview was so awful, and had so many lessons for teaching job applicants . . .

His interview was a classic example of How Not To Do It.

Here is my analysis of part of HRH The Duke of York´s interview, and thus my advice for any interviews that you may be in.

He was asked at the end: "Is there anything you feel has been left unsaid that you would like to say now?"

This, my friends, is a perfect GIFT of an interview question. Instead of making proper use of this gift, he gave the worst possible reply, a self-centred answer. The interview ended, therefore, on a very poor note, after a whole series of poor notes. He showed that his only concern was himself.

He should have prepared for the interview first of all by defining his message. For a teaching interview this would be your USPs - unique selling points. For him, it was a triple message that he wished to get over during the interview: 1) sincere regret for his actions, 2) condemnation of Epstein´s activities, and 3) deep sympathy for the victims whose lives have been shattered by knowing Epstein.

Did you see this anywhere in his interview?

The next step in his preparation should have been drafting various versions of these three points; different wording yet expressing the same ideas, so that he could drop them at different moments in the interview. Every single question he was asked, he should have first thought to himself Is it appropriate to make one - or more - of my three points here? Obviously you wouldn´t actually make these points in every answer, but consider each time, to drop them in from time to time. This way his message would have come across strongly, and the interview overall would have had a coherent feel. And a feel that would be showing him to his advantage.

Therefore at the end, when he was given that gift of a question, he should have said "I know that I have actually already said this, but I would just like to reiterate that . . ." and said them all again. A strong finish.

If he had not been asked that question, then at the end of the interview he should have said: "May I just say one last thing?" And in an interview situation, if you haven´t been given that gift (you should, you should; interviewing panel take note!), then you can say it too, giving you the final chance to set out in a clear fashion what are your (previously prepared) strong points.

"Is there anything you feel has been left unsaid that you would like to say now?"

My book "Interview for a teaching job" tells you how to prepare for this and other questions. HRH should have downloaded it from Amazon!

Best wishes

varcolac, agathamorse, marlin and 3 others like this.
  2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

So lovely to hear from you Theo!

Great advice as always.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Why oh why are my replies not appearing?
    I've posted twice- but obviously tes doesn't seem to have got the message.

Anyway what I think I said was.
    I've obviously missed the post by DoY, to which you refer Theo, but good to see you posting again. :)

digoryvenn, TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Not our own DoY, but Prince Andrew and his BBC interview, Lara.

Lovely to see you posting Theo. :)

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed I realised that a while after I'd posted.:oops:

digoryvenn, TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Lara! Glad to see you too!

I see that by now you have realised that I was not referring to the TES poster called Duke of York, but to HRH The Prince Andrew, Duke of York, and his car-crash interview on BBC.

How can he have so many employees and advisors, yet nobody gave him what, to me, is the most basic advice Know what you should say before you open your mouth!

Best wishes back to everyone who has greeted me here.

digoryvenn likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have been asked if I am now on Twitter, since I stopped being the TES advisor on job applications, interviews, etc.

The answer is yes, and my Twitter I.D. is @Theo_Griff

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.