1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got a new job! - what to do/ask/find out?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice really, I am an NQT who has not been in the classroom for a while due to a long illness but this week I got a maternity cover job which will finally allow me to start my NQT year. I will be teaching Year 1 and I start in March but from January until then I will be doing supply at the school a couple of days a week with another class. I am excited but feeling quite nervous as it does feel like quite a while since I last taught and obviously I want to do a good job. I want to be as well prepared as I can be and obviously as I will be in between now and when I start I will have the opportunity to ask questions and find out things, but it just feels like with a new school and everything there is so much to learn, so much to do and find out that I don't know where to start! I'm trying to be organised and write a list of all of the things I can think of that I need to find out or ask before I start so just wondered - does anyone have any ideas? What would you ask when starting a new school?

Any advice / suggestions greatly appreciated,

K x

2. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

Hello K
    Congrats on getting a job!
    It's great that you'll be doing supply with another class a couple of days a week - you'll pick up lots of things about daily routines etc. Also try and spend a couple of days with the class you're going to teach as it will give you a chance to build relationships with the children and the teacher who is going on maternity leave could give you some guidance into planning, assessment, resources, behaviour and knowing something about all that will give you a head start.
    I'm in a similar situation, in mid November I got a job (mat cover for 2 terms) starting in Jan as a NQT. The week after I was offered the job I went into school and spent time with my 'class to be' and I did a bit of supply too. I have been in 3 days a week ever since. I have got to know the children quite well, I've got a good grasp of their ability levels and know who is going to be a handful in terms of behaviour! The class teacher who is going on maternity leave gave me planning that I can work from, showed me how they assess and I have got to know the TA's I'll be working with too.
    These are the questions I had in mind when I first went into school:
    Is there a long term plan? What topics/units in numeracy and literacy are to be covered when i start? What behaviour management system do you use? Marking policy? What resources are avaliable?
    The more time you'll spend there, more questions will crop up but those are the main things that I can think of.
    Get to know break times, when you're on duty, assembly times etc. Get a diary and start filling it in, also try to get to team meetings if possible as I found them really informative and it gave me a chance to get to know other members of staff.
    Basically, spend as much time in school as poss, it is in your best interests and it will give a good impression and show that you are enthusiastic and determinded to get off to a good start.
    Best of luck! :)

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Congratulations! as far as induction is concerned then dust off the career entry profile and update it if needed. Use this with your mentor to plan your induction- find out what programmes are available via LA. Plan a schedule for observation ( both mentor obs you and you observing experienced teachers) and book in the termly review meetings.
    Check out what formats and type of lesson planning the school expect.
    Make sure you have copies of key policies such as behaviour, etc.
    Get plenty of sleep

4. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

We're in the same boat. I feel nervous too! Take each day as it comes, we'll be fine :)