1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mrsshorty, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Thank you, just the advice I needed after the news that I have been offered a job. I feel really lucky as it was the first job I had applied for and the first interview I had been to. Thank you

2. Great advice Theo, but then again I wouldn't expect anything less!
    Bumping :eek:)

3. Fab advice, as ever!
    Bump!

4. Very pleased to be able to bump this!
    Thanks for the fab advice Theo.

5. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

6. Bump! great advice as always!

7. Thanks Theo - bump bump!

8. Fab advice!
    BUMP X

9. Dear Theo,
    Bump....and very useful advice on here! Thank you
    I have an interview in the morning (8.20 for 8.30am...earliest EVER) and am nervous
    because this one I REALLY want (and kind of need as only 2 weeks after Easter break before my current contract ends)
    so thanks, this has all been useful, especially like the advice on 'ripple effect' in your answers!

10. Super advice - I've printed it off!
    Bump!

[​IMG] (I'm still so excited I can't think straight at the minute!)

11. Bumping...also VERY excited!!!

12. Some good advice here- wish i'd kept a list of CPD to help me with this round of applications!
    Bump [​IMG]

13. katerina_78

katerina_78 New commenter

This is extremely useful information! Thank you so much! I've just posted in the 'pay and conditions' forum about my conundrum but it may be better placed here....
    I have today been sent through the CRB stuff and a letter asking me to
    sign on the dotted line accepting the job, but I've seen no
    contract....any advice as to what to do?
    They are not an academy and I will be paid on normal national pay spine.
    I'm
    also about to go through threshold but haven't put my application in
    yet and on the letter from new school it says I will be paid on the MPS6
    - which is fine, but if I am successful with threshold can that change?
    Or if I sign does it stay there?
    This is all new territory for me
    as it's my first career move and haven't had to worry about all of this
    as the last contract I signed I was a young NQT but now I will probably
    be more demanding of my contract!
    Having read your info about getting the contract by 8 weeks in to the job, what if I'm not happy with what the contract says?! I'm most concerned about maternity leave really, my partner and I are planning to start our family in a year or so, so this may affect the school and I just wanted to know where I'd stand on this.....are contracts drawn up by the school or are they set to national standards? I'm just a bit confused!
    Many thanks Theo for your pearls of wisdom! :)

14. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

15. msmog7

msmog7 New commenter

Very useful!
    Bump.

16. Bump! This is a fab thread, thanks Theo. I’m an NQT and have
    just got my first teaching post lined up for September!
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>One thing I&rsquo;m unclear on though is point 12, the bit about
    doing your tax return...what is this? Before entering teaching I worked for 4
    years in the private sector and as far as I am aware I have never &lsquo;done a tax
    return.&rsquo; I was just paid monthly, and received my payslips and end of year tax
    summaries at the relevant times, which I always filed away safely, but I never
    did anything with them as such. Is this different in teaching?

</font>If anyone can enlighten me I&rsquo;d be most grateful!

</font>Good luck to anyone still job-hunting, I&rsquo;m sure that dream
    job is just around the corner.

</font>Choca_holic

</font>

17. bump bump
    Great stuff, thanks

18. That's great news - hope it makes your present supply situation more bearable (rise above the little ***s; and their children! And the big ones who are 'too busy' to write references or enforce discpline in their school).
    I haven't done a tax return for several decades myself, being in vaguely 'normal' employment where there is nothing obvious that the HMRC can suspect I should pay more tax on, so they don't chase me. I probably *should* claim tax relief on things, but suspect that the effort involved would result in such a tiny pay-off I can't be bothered. But things like GTC subscriptions [I know, but I'm in Scotland: we still have one!] can, I think (not sure), be offset against tax.
    I do find having all the paperwork useful in filling in my Working Tax Credits forms (due this time of year). Perhaps someone (Theo, are you listeng?) could start a pinned thread on tax & tax credits for teachers...