1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Got a job a while ago..now what?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by BB2009, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I wondered if someone could advise me? I applied early on in the year for, and got, a new job for September. I am looking forward to starting but, since getting the contracts and sending in all the required documents, I have not had any more information. I don't know which year I am teaching, when I am able to go in to the school to start preparing, or anything about planning or policies. I know it is still fairly early so they may not have organised classes for next year, but should I send an email to ask about it or to offer to go in to speak other teachers or to find out about planning and things? I suppose it's not much good if I don't know which year I am teaching. I only have the email address of the head teacher and the secretary so I don't know if they would just find it bothersome for me to email them.
    I know there is still a while to go but I'm sure this term will fly by and I hate the thought of turning up in September and not knowing how anything works (I like to be organised and prepared!). I joined my current school as an NQT so had lots of contact with my mentor before starting.
    Thanks for your help!
    B

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

I would be tempted to email the school and ask if you could arrange a visit (perhaps during exam leave?) and meet the other teachers.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not sure exam leave will occur as this sounds suspiciously like a primary school to me.
    Email or ring and ask when would be a good time to arrange to visit for a day. Be sure to ask your current head for permission before telling your new school you'll be going.