1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gossec's Tambourin?

Discussion in 'Music' started by dbn, Jan 8, 2012.

1. dbn

dbn New commenter

Is Gossec's Tambourin considered a concerto in the classical sense? It is a short piece.
    Can anyone guide me to a book on Gossec? Amongst other topics I am trying to find out the structure of the work but only have an arrangement for piano and flute.
    Any help?
    Thanks.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No. It is a dance from a one-act French revolutionary opera by Gossec entitled Le triomphe de la République, ou Le camp de Grandpré. (1794 - technically it's a divertissement-lyrique = light opera)
    A number of 18th-century composers, including Rameau, wrote Tambourins - short movements in the style of a country dance from Provence. The name Tambourin refers to the type of drum (not a tambourine) that was used to accompany the dance.
    I don't have a score of the original, but wouldn't be surprised to find that it doesn't necessarily feature a flute solo at all. It could well be written for strings, but that's only a guess.
    Like most 18th-century French dances, it is a rondeau (= rondo).
    I don't know of any books about Gossec - he's a rather minor (but nonetheless interesting) composer.

3. florian gassmann

A quick follow-up. I see that the Gossec opera has been recorded by Chandos:
    http://www.chandos.net/CD_Notes.asp?CNumber=CHAN%200727
    Click on the "Download booklet" link on the left of this page for some interesting notes. I can't, though, see which of the many dances might be the one now known as the Tambourin.

4. dbn

dbn New commenter

Thank you very much. It is grouped under concerto in a variety of listings so I needed to double check. The version I have is very short for a concerto and doesn't adhere to solo/ tutti sections.
    This is very helpful.

5. I've just listened to a recording of Le Camp de Grandpre and I did not hear the familiar Tambourin, nor can I find anywhere a definitive statement about where this piece occurs in the larger score or what it is called. I'm beginning to wonder if this widely cited origin for the piece is correct.

6. florian gassmann

It's certainly common for a misattribution to be widely copied by careless publishers. We still talk of "Albinoni's Adagio" despite the fact that it is now widely accepted to be a 20th-century pastiche by Albinoni's biographer, Remo Giazotto.