1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gosh, is it snowing in England?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You'd think from the news that snow was entirely unprecedented. I've been laughing at sincerely delivered "advice" such as, "uncleared roads are more dangerous" and "rain washes away grit".

Anyone enjoying a snow day?

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Nope
    Rain
    Lots of it
    Continuously

:mad:

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

We had three flakes, it is precipitating it down now though. (I am at sea level).

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My wife just rang. She can confirm it snoweth in Brum.

5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

It slashed down all night and then changed to snow around 6. Got up to less than an inch lying and a text telling me school was open.

Little Sausage seems a bit affronted by snow. She is a neat and tidy girl and looks upon it as a litter nuisance. Not that it prevented her from emptying a box of cornflakes on the floor when my back was turned.

InkyP and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ssh (whispers she quietly) we've blue skies and sunshine here.:oops::)

Mangleworzle likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Here too, it's 10C, but lovely and warm in the sun.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Psst, so have we :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mrs MSB has just had a meeting cancelled due to persistent snow a mere 20 miles away, whilst here it's just the half-hearted sort of sleet that Wilshaw would say needed improvement. We aren't separated by mountains either, so I must be just below the bad weather boundary.

grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Interestingly we have a roughly N/S facing lounge with windows at either end and I have known days when looking one way we have rain and none the other! Presumably the edge of the rainbelt occurs over the roof of our bungalow?;)

rachelpaula008 and cissy3 like this.
  11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Just dull and grey here, with a bit of drizzle.

Seem to have escaped any dramatic weather for ages now :(

(Lara, I have experienced that phenomenon too!)

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Either that or you live in Downton Abbey :)

"Carson - it's raining on the drive again, be so good as to see if it's sunny in the ornamental garden"

13. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

About three inches of snow, but now it's started raining instead.

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I shouted at the tv tonight when the bbc news presenter talked about conditions being'positively alpine.' The picture it showed was a field with a light covering of snow with the grass still poking through! It is bad enough when anyone south of yorkshire gets a bit of snow and it becomes major news, but when even Yorkshire presenters are getting excited by a bit of snow, it takes the biscuit.

rachelpaula008 and cissy3 like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Watched the media reports... thought 'hmmm will ring parents and check they are OK'...

'Yeah son, bit of snow this morning, all gone now.'

16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Lots of snow, all day, in this suburb of Manchester. Turned to slush, now.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

A beautiful sunny day here, with the sort of clouds you feel you could climb up to and sit on.

We went for a lengthy walk along the prom, into the town and out the other side. It was quite blowy and therefore fresh and I had my down coat, scarf and hood. Sitting on a bench was a man with t shirt, board shorts and flip flops. Couldn't help thinking of the snow up north I saw on the news this morning.

18. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

We started lovely and sunny but then the occasional torrent of rain arrived and left just as quickly. Walked dog along beach in down coat, gloves and hat while watching those strange people dressed from head to foot in neoprene, running towards freezing water. How bonkers are they? That's all I can think from the comfort of my poofy coat!!

As for snow, how I miss it so much.....really I do. Some of the children I teach have only seen snow once!!! They are sooooo missing out.

19. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Snow, very heavy this morning, slush now.
    School closed.:):):):):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):):):):):)

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

It was really funny at work when it snowed. All our new Spanish nurses kept running excitedly to the window as they had never seen it before. They were so disappointed when it melted before the end of the shift.