1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gordon Ramsay: Shark Bait

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, Jan 16, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Both. Plus English, outdoor reared pork tastes so much better and I like to support our own famers.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Getting back to the OP, I watched the programme on my computer yesterday as I hardly ever watch the telly when stuff is being transmitted. The problem as I see it appears to stem from peasants' aspirations and technology allowing them to achieve more than they would otherwise have done.
    I haven't eaten sharks' fin soup and have to accept that when Gordon says it's tasteless, it's just that. There are countless, pointless, things the very rich do just because they can, so being able to send fishermen out to catch sharks hundreds of years ago and eating only the fins would have seemed like a cool thing to do. I bet many of these fishermen met grisly deaths along the way, but hey, they will have been paid well if they succeeded and they're only peasants after all so why not?
    Now we have the technology to catch sharks relatively easily and the Chinese economy is growing rapidly, those who are doing ok want to aspire to the things wealth brings whether or not there's actually any point in it.
    Awareness and education, I guess, is the starting point in limiting this madness, and I say limiting because it will never go away completely. At least this has started. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single footstep as Mao said.

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Spot on modelmaker! Agree with absolutely everything you've said.